MLB Radio This AM

fansince79

6-0 is certainly a mirage. The offense is legit but this starting pitching is not going to be that good. Gallardo is going to have a career worst season. I worry about the #4 and #5 slots. I'm concerned that Ubaldo went back to his 2014 delivery. So we are essentially really banking on Tillman and an injured Gausman. This rotation could realistically only average 5 or so IP per game.

Now, it helps that we are 6-0. That gives us some wiggle room. But I really wish we had some impact arms in the minors.

6-0 is certainly a mirage. The offense is legit but this starting pitching is not going to be that good. Gallardo is going to have a career worst season. I worry about the #4 and #5 slots. I'm concerned that Ubaldo went back to his 2014 delivery. So we are essentially really banking on Tillman and an injured Gausman. This rotation could realistically only average 5 or so IP per game.

Now, it helps that we are 6-0. That gives us some wiggle room. But I really wish we had some impact arms in the minors.

You saying that about Gallardo because you think he's hurt? Please explain.

The other team's fly balls will be traveling further too. That said, I think we just need the starting pitching to be average, even a little below, to be good. The bullpen looks very good once again. Givens looks to be an emerging talent there and Brach shows no signs of regression. That's 4 very solid guys at the back of the bullpen. Right now, there don't seem to be any weak links in the chain out there. Gallardo didn't look like he got hit as hard as the numbers suggest, yesterday. It all depends on the starters, which could range anywhere from above average to putrid. The two biggest things that give me optimism about the offense are the AB's of Rickard and Schoop. Schoop could be on the verge of stardom if he continues to manage his AB's like he has so far. Trumbo and Alvarez are what they are. Power hitters who will make a ton of outs but hit the big homer every now and then.

Loved Chris Davis's comments after the game about not just going to the plate and hacking at everything. Wonder if Jones will catch the fever.

Good recap imo. We need KG back ASAP to, hopefully, to boost our SP.

You saying that about Gallardo because you think he's hurt? Please explain.

Max FB velocity last year was 94mph. Average? ~91mph.

This year? Max: 89mph. Average about 88mph.

This is incredibly worrisome. This was the case all spring training and now his first 2 starts.

The fact that the medical staff wanted to drop the number of years on the contract. And all of his pitches he's lost velocity on.

He has a declining K rate, too.

2010: 9.7

2011: 9.0

2012: 9.0

2013: 7.2

2014: 6.8

2015: 5.9

If your velocity is dipping that much and you don't have wipe out pitches/deception, you're going to get hit. I'm not sure if he's hurt or something else, but he has looked terrible these last couple of games.

Max FB velocity last year was 94mph. Average? ~91mph.

This year? Max: 89mph. Average about 88mph.

This is incredibly worrisome. This was the case all spring training and now his first 2 starts.

The fact that the medical staff wanted to drop the number of years on the contract. And all of his pitches he's lost velocity on.

He has a declining K rate, too.

2010: 9.7

2011: 9.0

2012: 9.0

2013: 7.2

2014: 6.8

2015: 5.9

If your velocity is dipping that much and you don't have wipe out pitches/deception, you're going to get hit. I'm not sure if he's hurt or something else, but he has looked terrible these last couple of games.

I think he looked bad yesterday, but the first game he was pretty good. Yovani has never done well at Fenway, and it will be fun to watch and see how he looks down the road.

Jim Bowden was back today and he and Todd spent the first 15-20 minutes or so talking about the O's. Almost all of it was positive, especially about Rickard, Trumbo and the Bullpen. Of course, they are concerned about starting pitching, as most of us are.

There are some glimpses that the SP might be okay.

Tillman looks to be pretty good and not what he was last year.

Ubaldo was rock solid and with the minor change in his motion, might just be what the doctor ordered. :)

Was some pretty cold weather last week, so hopefully, they start letting the SP go a bit longer, when they are throwing good.

Archived