Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Trumbo reminds me of J.J Hardy when he first became an Oriole. J.J became a different player when the Orioles traded for him. The same is happening to Trumbo. Mark Trumbo is a better hitter with the Orioles than he has ever been. The Orioles would regret letting Trumbo go and they can't allow him to reach free agency. I would bet the farm on the fact that Mark is going to be a good player for the Orioles. I would have no problem giving him a three year deal. You have to be bold. The Orioles have to win baby. Now is our time!

He looks good but a few thoughts.

1) he usually starts hot from what i read.

2) where is the extra money coming from. We NEED to lock up manny first.

3) if he keeps this up, he won't sign for 3 years. it would be big money and 6 yrs probably.

The cruel truth is, we can't afford to pay everyone at free agent prices. Choices have to be made. I'm going to enjoy the ride, hope Trumbo has a great year worthy of a QO, and be happy with getting a sandwich pick for a guy we acquired for Steve Clevenger. I'm saving my money for Manny, Schoop and pitching.

It would be sort of ironic if we turned the arrieta trade into clevenger into trumbo into some decent first rounder or maybe trade trumbo back to cubs for Arrietta....haha...

Before thinking about re-signing Trumbo I think the O's will look at what it will take to sign their arbitration players and what it does to their payroll.

O's Free Agents

15.8m Wieters

9.15m Trumbo

5.75m P. Alvarez

3.9m Matusz

1.3m Reimold

35.9m Total subtraction

Increases from current contracts

2m Gallardo (from 9 to 11m)

1.5m Hardy (from 12.5 to 14m)

1.4m KIm (from 2.8 to 4.2m)

1m O'Day ( from 6 to 7m)

.5m Jimenez (from 13 to 13.5m)

6.4m total addition

Arbitration increase (Just my guess)

7m Machado (from 5 to 12m) (need to sign him long term)

4m Britton (from 6.8m to 10.8m) (Boras client - will not extend)

4m Tillman (from 6.2m to 10.2m) (need to sign long term)

4m Gausman (from .5m to 4.5m)

4m Schoop (from .5m to 4.5m)

1.4m Worley (from 2.6 to 4m)

1.4m Brach (from 1.3 to 2.7m)

1m Flaherty (from 1.5m to 2.5m)

1m Joseph ( from .5 to 1.5m)

27.8m total arbitration increase

34.2m increase of existing contracts and arbitration

So in order to extend Trumbo the O's have is increase payroll in 2017. Just something to keep in mind.

He looks good but a few thoughts.

1) he usually starts hot from what i read.

2) where is the extra money coming from. We NEED to lock up manny first.

3) if he keeps this up, he won't sign for 3 years. it would be big money and 6 yrs probably.

Good points, especially Manny. I would also add that we will need another infielder with Manny, either a 3B (if Manny shifts to SS) or a SS (if Manny sticks at 3B). Currently the organization is extremely thin at prospects on that side of the infield. Meanwhile, we have Christian Walker and Mancini as RH power hitting OF/DH types. That is the one place we have strength. It would be a real nice luxury to sign Trumbo, but we have much bigger priorities, namely pitching, SS, and 3B.

Good points, especially Manny. I would also add that we will need another infielder with Manny, either a 3B (if Manny shifts to SS) or a SS (if Manny sticks at 3B). Currently the organization is extremely thin at prospects on that side of the infield. Meanwhile, we have Christian Walker and Mancini as RH power hitting OF/DH types. That is the one place we have strength. It would be a real nice luxury to sign Trumbo, but we have much bigger priorities, namely pitching, SS, and 3B.

Is there any hope that Jomar sticks at 3B?

Month OPS+

March/Apr 119

May 136

Jun 76

Jul 95

Aug 92

Sep/Oct 80

I have to chuckle a bit at this thread. Everyone wants to throw a multi-year contact at Trumbo after ONE MONTH of play and completely ignore the rest of his resume. It's almost hilarious. Trumbo hits in April and May,

then falls off a table the rest of the year. He has gone two months with one or fewer home runs in each of the last two years, but yeah, let's pay him based on one month. The amount of information that it is necessary

to ignore in order to come to the conclusion this is a reasonable decision is astounding. It comes back to the bottom line; the Angels, D'Backs and Mariners all saw the same power from Trumbo that we are seeing now and

still got rid of him. He is not worth such a contract and even in the unlikely scenario that he has a better than average year this year, he is still not worth it based on the bigger picture. See: Ubaldo Jimenez.

I have to chuckle a bit at this thread. Everyone wants to throw a multi-year contact at Trumbo after ONE MONTH of play and completely ignore the rest of his resume. It's almost hilarious. Trumbo hits in April and May,

then falls off a table the rest of the year. He has gone two months with one or fewer home runs in each of the last two years, but yeah, let's pay him based on one month. The amount of information that it is necessary

to ignore in order to come to the conclusion this is a reasonable decision is astounding. It comes back to the bottom line; the Angels, D'Backs and Mariners all saw the same power from Trumbo that we are seeing now and

still got rid of him. He is not worth such a contract and even in the unlikely scenario that he has a better than average year this year, he is still not worth it based on the bigger picture. See: Ubaldo Jimenez.

Who's is everyone? The majority don't approve of an extension.

Archived