Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Love Trumbo! BUT, we can't pay FA prices for everyone on the team. I would rather save the money to hopefully sign Manny. My hope is that next season DD finds another Cruz/Trumbo type.

It's also possible that Walker could give you 80% of the production for a minute % of cost.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better yet, sign Manny and look for the real next Nelson Cruz...someone nobody is thinking about that will come to the O's on a 1 year deal and put up a 1.000 OPS season. We can only sign so many guys at market rates. I would love to have Trumbo back, it is just a question of priorities.

I remember saying that Trumbo would be our new Nelson Cruz after the trade, and people scoffed at the idea. LOL. I know he's done more damage on the road than at OPACY - so far - but any RH hitter with legit power, which he has, is going to be extremely dangerous here.

Over his career Trumbo is worth 1.5 wins per 150 games. He's 30. So let's assume he declines at half a win a year, so I'm thinking a 3-year extension should be paying for 1.5, 1, and .5 wins. That's a total of three wins, so, yea, let's lock him up to a 3/24 deal.

What's that you say? He's asking for Nelson Cruz dollars, plus some bonus for being younger? Well, that's silly.

If he keeps it up he's going to want something between what Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz got. Heck, he's going to want that even if he doesn't keep it up. I like the guy, but I'm not ready to make that commitment yet, and regardless, the priority above all else is trying to get something done with Manny if there's even the slightest possibility of it.

If Harper is getting $350 mil (guessing 10 years) as Christopher Russo predicted today, then Manny is going to be very close. Duquette and Angelos have a big decision to make soon: fish or cut bait. That said, I would not drop $20 mil per on

Trumbo but instead sign Manny if I could and hand the Trumbo gauntlet to

Mancini next year.

This. We need to find some tradeoffs to keep Manny.

As my stockbroker says, you always want to buy high.

When a guy has an established level of 1.5 wins but he has a month where he's playing at a 5-6 win level you need to lock him up before everyone realizes he's now a 5-6 player for the foreseeable future! Let's see... six wins times $8M/win, for five years... that's a 5/240 deal. Maybe we could get a discount and sign him to Chris Davis money.

If he keeps it up he's going to want something between what Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz got. Heck, he's going to want that even if he doesn't keep it up. I like the guy, but I'm not ready to make that commitment yet, and regardless, the priority above all else is trying to get something done with Manny if there's even the slightest possibility of it.

Not between. He'll get more than both of them combined. I think we'll have to pass in the offseason, hope he keeps it up through the playoffs, and enjoy.

Archived