JJ Hardy's Ridiculous Stance

kidrock

Does anyone think that his stance this year at the play looks completely crazy? I'm not going to pretend to know more about hitting than JJ or anyone on the Orioles, but man it is hard to understand why he keeps his bat parallel to the ground. Am I crazy here or does anyone remember the first rule of batting being GET YOUR HANDS UP?

Can anyone remember someone with a stance holding the bat parallel to the ground? I can remember some crazy stances like Tony Batista, but JJ looks nuts out there.

I don't care how crazy it looks like. His 2 homers last night work for me.

There was a guy in the 1980s named Mike Fischlin who would stand in an exaggerated crouch with the bat held down very low and parallel to the ground. The last 20-30 years have seen a massive decline in unusual stances. Much more uniformity now. Disco Dan Ford would stand with his back to the pitcher, Yaz had that stance with the bat very high, Julio Franco held the bat over his head- literally above his head and parallel to the ground, Johnny Wockenfuss had both feet basically on the back line of the batter's box, Tettleton held the knob of the bat almost touching his belt, bat kind of parallel to the ground and body nearly straight up-and-down. Like windups it's become orthodoxy to make almost everyone's stance as simple and straightforward as possible.

182.jpg

hitting-stance-john-wockenfuss.jpg

Archived