The offense, 7 games in

Frobby

After a slightly creaky start in the opening series with the Twins, the Orioles' offense is in pretty high gear now.

Runs - 1st

Homers - 1st

BA - 2nd

OBP - 2nd

SLG - 1st

So far, 7 of the 9 players with more than 10 PA have an OPS of .885 or higher -- Davis, Schoop, Hardy, Machado, Rickard, Reimold, and Trumbo. Of the other two, Wieters has a low OPS (.519) but his hits have been very timely, producing 6 RBI. Only Alvarez has been truly unproductive. Of course, Jones has been on the sidelines for all but two games, so he is not among the players with more than 10 PA.

One thing I'm finding very comforting in the early going is the patience shown by Chris Davis, who has drawn 6 walks and has taken a ton of close pitches. After signing that mega-contract, I was worried he'd come into the season trying to do too much, and find himself pressing. Instead, he seems very relaxed at the plate, and he is also playing a great 1B so far.

The team is middle of the pack in walks (8th) and strikeouts (7th), which has to be considered excellent for a power-hitting team known for having some free swingers.

In the end, I know we can't sustain this pace offensively, but the power we expected to be there is there, and there are at least some preliminary signs that the team can do more than just hit home runs. It's been good to see.

OBP - 2nd

Shocking!

I'm wondering if we will go into any of those extended scoring droughts that we had last year. Duquette did do a pretty good job of filling a lot of holes in the lineup. Last year we had a lot of easy outs like Parades, Snider, Parra, Lough, Delmon, Paramalee. Hardy looking a LOT better so far this year too.

And its not like the O's have gotten cheap runs off of bad pitchers. Archer, Price, Odorizzi, Buckholz, Santana, Hughes and Gibson. Three team aces and four other guys who are clearly major league starters. There hasn't been a scrub in the in bunch.

After a slightly creaky start in the opening series with the Twins, the Orioles' offense is in pretty high gear now.

Runs - 1st

Homers - 1st

BA - 2nd

OBP - 2nd

SLG - 1st

So far, 7 of the 9 players with more than 10 PA have an OPS of .885 or higher -- Davis, Schoop, Hardy, Machado, Rickard, Reimold, and Trumbo. Of the other two, Wieters has a low OPS (.519) but his hits have been very timely, producing 6 RBI. Only Alvarez has been truly unproductive. Of course, Jones has been on the sidelines for all but two games, so he is not among the players with more than 10 PA.

One thing I'm finding very comforting in the early going is the patience shown by Chris Davis, who has drawn 6 walks and has taken a ton of close pitches. After signing that mega-contract, I was worried he'd come into the season trying to do too much, and find himself pressing. Instead, he seems very relaxed at the plate, and he is also playing a great 1B so far.

The team is middle of the pack in walks (8th) and strikeouts (7th), which has to be considered excellent for a power-hitting team known for having some free swingers.

In the end, I know we can't sustain this pace offensively, but the power we expected to be there is there, and there are at least some preliminary signs that the team can do more than just hit home runs. It's been good to see.

Really nice ride the wave. :D Who needs pitching :laughlol: We will eventually... ;)

They'll have their droughts, all teams do. But, I think the offense will end up good to very good. After Bundy's performance last night, our bullpen looks rock solid. I do worry about the starters but I'm focused on riding this wave as long as it lasts.

Runs - 1st

Homers - 1st

BA - 2nd

OBP - 2nd

SLG - 1st

Those kinds of STATS should gets us on Sunday night prime time. :laughlol:

Best development so far this year - Schoop has a 8.0 BB% and 12.0 K%. Both numbers would be MASSIVE improvements for him.

His O-Swing is down from 44.6% to 39.0% and his Z-Swing is up from 83.5% to 84.9%. This looks almost exactly like the pitch recognition/plate discipline improvements that Manny made last year and we all know how that turned out. Obviously he's not as talented as Manny and is coming from a much lower baseline to improve upon, but Schoop puts some damage on the baseball when he hits it so it's a big deal that his plate discipline appears to be improving significantly.

We're still dealing with a very small sample but those are the type of numbers that stabilize quickly.

2nd - OBP is a little misleading because OBP is basically AVG + Walks (and other things). The AVG for this team is already crazy high.

The Orioles are actually 15th in walk rate (BB%) with 8.5% which is an improvement from 7.0% (2015), 6.5% (2014), 6.8 (2013).

2nd - OBP is a little misleading because OBP is basically AVG + Walks (and other things). The AVG for this team is already crazy high.

The Orioles are actually 15th in walk rate (BB%) with 8.5% which is an improvement from 7.0% (2015), 6.5% (2014), 6.8 (2013).

You mean 15th in MLB in BB%. They are 6th in the AL in that category. I think the OP was clear that the O's were middle of the pack in walks, which for them, is a big improvement. It's only 7 games, so no guarantee that it lasts, but the trend is encouraging.

As I said in an earlier post I'm really liking the protection that Trumbo gives to Davis, so far when Chris takes a walk

Trumbo makes the pitcher pay for it. I'm also loving having a real good lead-off hitter (so far).

Really seems like pitchers are terrified of giving Chris something to hit this year.

Really seems like pitchers are terrified of giving Chris something to hit this year.

He has such insane power even on pitches that you would never suspect of going out of the park that I think it messes with some pitchers mentally.

Archived