Jim Palmer Quotables, 2016 Version

Frobby

Jim was on fire tonight with his stories and quips.

Hunter: The O's just tied their record for homers in an inning. The last time was in 1995, and also back in your day, Jim, May 15, 1967.

Palmer: ...I think I might have started that game. (Proceeds to recount how he threw a one-hitter in Yankee Stadium in his previous start, recounts what three batters did before the pitching coach came out, and says when the coach asked Erchebarren how Palmer was throwing, Etchebarren said "how would I know? I haven't caught one yet!" Then explains how he didn't pitch again in the majors again until 1969.)

Then on the postgame show, Tom Davis asks him "what about the 7th inning?" and Palmer responds, well, today is the 104th anniversary of the Titanic.. It must have felt like that for the Rangers." Then he follows up with "it's like Herman Cain: 9-9-9!"

The man is a treasure.

Jim was on fire tonight with his stories and quips.

Hunter: The O's just tied their record for homers in an inning. The last time was in 1995, and also back in your day, Jim, May 15, 1967.

Palmer: ...I think I might have started that game. (Proceeds to recount how he threw a one-hitter in Yankee Stadium in his previous start, recounts what three batters did before the pitching coach came out, and says when the coach asked Erchebarren how Palmer was throwing, Etchebarren said "how would I know? I haven't caught one yet!" Then explains how he didn't pitch again in the majors again until 1969.)

Then on the postgame show, Tom Davis asks him "what about the 7th inning?" and Palmer responds, well, today is the 104th anniversary of the Titanic.. It must have felt like that for the Rangers." Then he follows up with "it's like Herman Cain: 9-9-9!"

The man is a treasure.

Incredibly obscure reference. He should be doing one of the robot voices on Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

I also liked just before that when he compared the 9-run inning to the sinking of the Titanic, made Tom Davis deliver an Ed McMahon laugh, then talked about what a tragedy it was with 1,500 dead. The man is a walking tangent.

7 different Orioles homered in that game (5/15/67), but Palmer allowed a 3-run HR to Don Demeter and lasted just 1 inning. He faced 27 with 1 hit and 0 walks in the previous start at NY just as he recalled. He did pitch 3 more times in the big leagues in 1967, however.

And yes, how great is it to have him back in the booth?

• 2 weeks later...

4/28/16, bottom 3rd:

Jim Hunter: "Aaand, it looks like, maybe something of a mist out there."

Palmer: "Yeah, actually, a little rain as well."

Hunter: "Eh, I'm calling it a mist."

Palmer: "Mmm. It's rain."

Top 4th:

Hunter: "And, the mist continues. That's a mist."

Palmer: "Maybe if you're in London."

• 1 month later...

o

(vs. INDIANS, 5/29)

"One thing about Nolan Reimold, I still remember when he first came up in 2009, and hitting instructor Terry Crowley told me that he (Reimold) is the only guy in our organization who can hit home runs without trying to do it."

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived