Minor League Game Summaries 4/16

weams

Adam Pohl

Davis, Mancini and Rosa, Oh My!!

Trio Dives in 12 Runs as Baysox Break Through in 14-5 Win

The Baysox walloped three home runs in a decisive 14-5 win in Akron on Saturday afternoon. The win ended a four-game losing stretch and snapped a five-game skid against Akron to open 2016.

The list of contributors was lengthy. Garabez Rosa doubled twice and homered in a four-hit day that included five RBI?s. Glynn Davis hit a three-run home run in a four-RBI afternoon. And Trey Mancini finished a triple shy of the cycle in a game in which he launched his fifth home run of the year.

After leading 8-0 through four innings, Akron bounced back to get within 8-5 after a grand slam from Yandy Diaz with one down in the fifth. Baysox relievers Ashur Tolliver and Jon Keller settled in following retiring the next 13 batters consecutively.

The Baysox blew the game open in the seventh inning. A day after seeing a three-run lead vanish with a six-run Akron rally, the Baysox put the game away with a six-run frame of their own. After Adrian marin doubled, Drew Dosch singled as part of his three-hit day. That set up Davis who homered to left field to make it 11-5. Later in the inning with two men on and another run already home, Rosa finished it off with a double to straight away center to make it 14-5.

The Baysox 14 runs and 17 hits were season high?s. Akron committed six errors in the game including four from their shortstop Yhoxian Medina. Baysox starting pitcher Parker Bridwell worked through four innings but was lifted after throwing 87 pitches.

Geoff Arnold

The Lynchburg Hillcats broke a 4-4 deadlock with a pair of home runs in the top of the 10th en route to an 8-5 victory over the Frederick Keys on Saturday afternoon at Nymeo Field. Playing their first extra-inning game of the season, Keys arms gave up a season-high four longballs, as the team dropped its third straight home game.

Down to their final strike, the Keys tied the game in the bottom of the ninth against Robbie Aviles. Hitting with an 0-2 count, Aderlin Rodriguez pummeled a hanging breaking ball over the wall in left to even the score. It was his second homer of the season.

The tie game did not last for long. Papi opened the 10th with his second home run of the day to make it 5-4. Later in the inning, Jimmy Yacabonis gave up a three-run homer to Claudio Bautista to stretch Lynchburg’s lead to four.

In the home half of the inning, the orange and black battled back, utilizing singles from Austin Wynns, Jonah Heim and Jay Gonzalez to pull the Keys within a field goal. However Cameron Hill got a groundball back to the mound from Josh Hart to end the game.

Besides providing his team with the go-ahead longball, Papi gave his team the initial lead via a solo blast in the second. From there, the Keys pulled even in the fourth against Sean Brady. With two outs, Wynns singled Rodriguez from first to third, before Heim tied the game with an RBI base knock.

Lynchburg regained the lead in the sixth on a two-run homer by Taylor Murphy, before adding one more in the seventh on a double by Dorssys Paulino and a single by Bobby Bradley. The Keys also plated two in the seventh, after Gonzalez singled home Erick Salcedo from second and Gonzalez scored on a sac-fly by Hart.

Yacabonis (0-1) suffered the loss, giving up four runs on four hits in 2.2 innings. He walked two and struck out three. Aviles suffered the blown save, but also got credit for the win, allowing one run in two innings. Offensively, Gonzalez finished 3-for-6 with an RBI and two runs scored, while Wynns went 3-for-5 with a run scored. As a team, Frederick posted a season-high 15 hits.

Brendan Gulick

Yermin Mercedes drove in two early runs for the Shorebirds to give Delmarva the lead after three innings, but the Hagerstown Suns responded with five unanswered runs to win their sixth consecutive game, 8-4. The Shorebirds dropped their fourth in a row in front of their biggest crowd of the year (5,514).

Cristian Alvarado didn’t find the same success on Saturday night that he had against Hagerstown last week. Alvarado (1-1) allowed five runs in 4.1 innings of work and took his first loss of the season.

Hagerstown (7-3) wasted little time getting on the board, as Matthew Page drove in Ian Sagdal in the top of the first. Page finished the game with four RBI’s after having the game’s only RBI in Friday night’s 1-0 win for the Suns.

The Shorebirds (4-6) answered with runs in both the first and second inning. Mercedes got the first of his two RBI’s in the first inning by driving in Cedric Mullins, while Mullins’ RBI triple in the second scored Natanael Delgado to give the ‘Birds the lead.

After Hagerstown scored twice in the top of the third inning, the Shorebirds retook the lead in the bottom of the third with two runs of their own. Mercedes singled around an infield shift to drive in D.J. Stewart to tie the game 3-3, and later came around to score on a two-out error by the pitcher Joan Baez. Delgado hit a grounder to first baseman Ryan Ripken, who fielded the ball going to his right. Baez raced to cover the bag, but he took his eye off the throw and it went past him toward the dugout, scoring Mercedes.

Ricardo Andujar knocked a one out single to center field in the bottom of the fourth. It was the last baserunner of the game for Delmarva, as relievers Jorge Pantoja and Tommy Peterson locked things down the remainder of the game. The last 17 Shorebirds to bat were sent down in order.

Hagerstown took the lead with two runs in the fifth inning and sealed it with one in the eighth and two runs in the ninth, both of which scored on bases-loaded walks.

Adam Pohl

And Trey Mancini finished a triple shy of the cycle in a game in which he launched his fifth home run of the year.

I hope the O's hold onto Mancini. He could turn into something special. Or the O's could trade him and another prospect for the 2016 version of Bud Norris.

I'm keeping an eye on Rosa, who was impressive this spring. I could imagine him being on the big club in the future.

Edit - just looked up his record on BB-ref. I hadn't realized he was 26 years old already. I don't think he's really a prospect but I'll still hope he's having a breakthrough.

I'm keeping an eye on Rosa, who was impressive this spring. I could imagine him being on the big club in the future.

Edit - just looked up his record on BB-ref. I hadn't realized he was 26 years old already. I don't think he's really a prospect but I'll still hope he's having a breakthrough.

Josh Donaldson and Jose Bautista took a while too.

Archived