For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Same game.  Yarbrough has a sidearm delivery that the ump seemed to have problems with.

cnytx9ijo3371.jpg

That's definitely an interesting chart.  And obviously helped Yarbrough get the Rays' first complete game since Obama was president.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bucknor last night.

E5ONYmgWEAIH3vl?format=jpg&name=small

He was awful.  The call on Stewart was egregious - leading off an inning on a 3 and 2 pitch - not to mention he grandstanded the call.  It wasn't even a borderline pitch.    

• Upvote 1

This call  consists of the quality of the game of baseball,  it is soooo important.  Unlike a Holding call in football which could be called on the majority of plays, this call determines the winner and loser in the game of baseball to a great extent.  I commented years ago, I think in this thread, and others, of the importance of getting this call correct every,  or nearly every time.  What got me interested in the importance of  called balls and strikes, I noticed for Decades that the Yankees seemed to get most of these calls, if at all close, in their favor.  Esp. with the game on the line and doubly esp. if the game was played in N.Y.  Weams and I were in total agreement years ago, that it was something that needed to change in baseball, and most likely by electronic calling.   

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Bottom line is, MLB will only make such a change if they think it will boost attendance and viewership.  Will it?  I tend to doubt it.  

I could see them implementing it if

1. If a baseball Tim Donaghy shows up
  2. The Ump Union really pisses off ownership
  3. Some other steroid/trash can/spider tack level outrage shows up in the fanbase.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I could see them implementing it if

1. If a baseball Tim Donaghy shows up
  2. The Ump Union really pisses off ownership
  3. Some other steroid/trash can/spider tack level outrage shows up in the fanbase.

Perhaps as legalized gambling gets partnershipped more with MLB, there could a push there, too, if there are some outrageously bad calls.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

This call  consists of the quality of the game of baseball,  it is soooo important.  Unlike a Holding call in football which could be called on the majority of plays, this call determines the winner and loser in the game of baseball to a great extent.  I commented years ago, I think in this thread, and others, of the importance of getting this call correct every,  or nearly every time.  What got me interested in the importance of  called balls and strikes, I noticed for Decades that the Yankees seemed to get most of these calls, if at all close, in their favor.  Esp. with the game on the line and doubly esp. if the game was played in N.Y.  Weams and I were in total agreement years ago, that it was something that needed to change in baseball, and most likely by electronic calling.   

I swear Paul O'Neill barked at the umpire for every called strike against him in his career.   And Red Sox usually get the benefit of the doubt on called balls and strikes. 

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

He was awful.  The call on Stewart was egregious - leading off an inning on a 3 and 2 pitch - not to mention he grandstanded the call.  It wasn't even a borderline pitch.    

That's funny, the Houston pitching coach got ejected for their pitcher getting squeezed in the first. The Houston sites showed the charts and he had every right to be upset. Missed multiple strikes that were on the inner half (not even the corner). Amazing that overall he had a HOU bias, he must have been even more awful the rest of the game. What a disgrace.

• 3 weeks later...

The O’s managed to score four runs off Yarbrough in the 6th last night despite D.J. Rayburn calling at least three first-pitch strikes on pitches that were about 6 inches outside.   Looking forward to seeing what UmpScoreboard has to say.

With the demise of BrooksBaseball, where is the best place to get pitch data from a specific game?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Look at how many times he called strikes on pitches off the LH batter’s box corner:

So slightly favoring the Rays even though it seemed like they were doing more of the complaining. I kind of wish the Orioles did a little more of that. Not to get tossed but just show some displeasure with certain calls that go against them. Seems like all the good teams do this at least respectfully.