The Orioles rotation is pathetic

Diehard_O's_Fan

The Orioles have the best offense in 15 to 20 years and yet their starters can't hardly get out of the first inning. It is so frustrating. The Orioles would be as good as the Cubs if they had better pitching. I hope Dan is never allowed to sign a free agent pitcher ever again. If the Orioles pitching prevents them from going to the playoffs I am going to be pissed.

Gallardo is pathetic. The rest of the rotation isn't THAT bad. I'll take 6 IP and 3 runs from Mike Wright and Vance Worley every time. And I'm looking forward to KG coming back.

In 4 starts between the two of them, only Wright has gone 6 IP/3 ER once. Would you take 6 IP and 3 runs once every 4 starts?

Gallardo is pathetic. The rest of the rotation isn't THAT bad. I'll take 6 IP and 3 runs from Mike Wright and Vance Worley every time. And I'm looking forward to KG coming back.

Yeah with this offense Gausman may actually be able to win more games than he loses for a change.

Is it something in the water? Why can't we ever have consistently good starting pitchers? We get flashes here and there but overall nobody seems to sustain over time. Lots of success converting starters to bullpen. I just don't get it. Watching Jake Arietta steadily arise to mythic status since leaving is really sticking in my craw.

Tillman and Ubaldo are fine. Maybe even better than last year - Tillman throwing harder, Ubaldo K'ing more. Gausman is coming back. Wright, Wilson, and Worley all look like serviceable back end starters. Gallardo is the only one who's terrible and it looks like he's about to be mercifully DL'd.

Looks that way.

1. Tillman

2. Jimenez

3. Gausman

4. Wright

5. Wilson

Wow! I'm actually excited to see Wright and Wilson get extended starts and see how they do.

Trouble is we don't have Wright and Wilson to come in after them when they can only go 5.

Trouble is we don't have Wright and Wilson to come in after them when they can only go 5.

Yeah, but you'll have Worley and McFarland. McFarland will be optioned as necessary along with Givens throughout the year.

Bullpen:

Britton - closer

O'Day - setup

Givens - middle relief

Bundy - middle relief

Brach - middle relief

Worley - RHP long relief

Matusz - LOOGY, middle relief in a pinch

Bench:

Flaherty

Reimold

Kim

Joseph

Tillman and Ubaldo are fine. Maybe even better than last year - Tillman throwing harder, Ubaldo K'ing more. Gausman is coming back. Wright, Wilson, and Worley all look like serviceable back end starters. Gallardo is the only one who's terrible and it looks like he's about to be mercifully DL'd.

I'm not so sure you can say Ubaldo is better than last year. Way too early to tell and it looks like his mechanics have reverted to 2014 form. Hopefully they can get him worked out, but right now he's nibbling a lot and walking a bunch. I'd gladly take 2015 Ubaldo (4.11 ERA, 4.01 FIP, 1.359 WHIP, 8.2 SO/9, 3.3 B/9).

I think Chris Tillman is going to be better than last year. He has a little bit of an increase in velocity, but not much.

Gausman is the x factor here. I worry about the shoulder tendonitis so early on. The O's desperately need him to anchor his staff and settle in to a #2/#3 role.

I'm not expecting much from Wright. Doesn't strike out enough guys and his command isn't great. We may get a brilliant start here or there, but he doesn't go deep enough.

Wilson I think will be solid, but nothing spectacular. Probably a better version of 2015 Gonzo.

Chen not being part of this rotation really hurts. Duquette banking 100% on Gallardo was foolish.

If there is one thing that can be said in this rotation's defense, it is that I believe there have been only 3 starts out of the first 15 that have been for less than 5 innings, and one of those doesn't count because it was the OD rain delay.

Sure we're not getting 6 IP enough, but we've had very few of those disastrous "blow up the BP" starts where the SP can't even go 3.

Archived