So, managers can still manage after being ejected?

Aglets

Most astonishing part of that article: Connie Mack's last ejection was in 1895. He managed until 1950.

From what I've read about Mack, he was a very mild mannered guy but I think what may have played a small role in that is that Mack stopped wearing a uniform pretty early on. I think he wasn't allowed to go on the field. He was one of the the few managers to wear a suit. I don't know who the last one to do so but I know it's something I've never seen.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was Valentine though that turned us down before we hired Buck though, right Paul? I know the other finalist for the job was Eric Wedge who wasn't terrible but had nowhere near the pedigree that Buck did. I have no idea what Wedge has been doing since Seattle let him go but Buck was the right hire.

Valentine turned us down for an interview, although I don't think he was the Orioles' top choice anyway. Still, that was one less obstacle standing in Buck's way.

Yeah, what'd you think they did? Go back in the clubhouse, put their feet up and drink beers?

They can't be in the dugout, but there's nothing MLB could really do to stop them from sending a text, sitting in the hallway to the dugout, etc. They just can't be able to be seen by the umpires.

Bobby-Vs-disguise.jpg

Valentine turned us down for an interview, although I don't think he was the Orioles' top choice anyway. Still, that was one less obstacle standing in Buck's way.

Right, I don't either. I just know of all the names mentioned when we were in limbo with Juan Samuel after Dave Trembley got fired that Buck was the name I wanted the most since I really liked the work he did with the Yankees, Dbacks, and Rangers. Buck's going to go down as the second best Orioles manager behind Earl. I hope we can get him a WS to his resume. Definitely an O's HOF at this point.

Scary that they even thought to interview the guy.

To be fair, before the Red Sox disaster, his resume was decent. I liked bobby V a lot more than I did Wedge for the job honestly. I remember JTreat was someone who thought Bobby V was just waht the team needed and man after seeing what happened in Boston that year, I'm glad I was wrong. Too bad that Bobby didn't last longer and ruin the Sox some more since they won a WS in Farrell's first year.

Most astonishing part of that article: Connie Mack's last ejection was in 1895. He managed until 1950.

I went to a birthday dinner last year and I spoke to a friend's uncle (I used to barn tobacco for the man). He was signed by Connie Mack in '48 to play for Philadelphia . He still has the contract with Mack's signature on it.

From what I've read about Mack, he was a very mild mannered guy but I think what may have played a small role in that is that Mack stopped wearing a uniform pretty early on. I think he wasn't allowed to go on the field. He was one of the the few managers to wear a suit. I don't know who the last one to do so but I know it's something I've never seen.

In the beginning the manager was usually a player. Over time that shifted, and I think it was probably common for a 19th century non-playing manager to wear street clothes (i.e. a suit). Maybe to differentiate himself from the players, to be obviously part of management. I think Ned Hanlon wore a suit, and Frank Seele. So what Mack wore was probably common when he started managing, but unique by the time he retired a half-century later. I'm sure someone, somewhere knows the history of why 55-year-old potbellied managers started wearing players' uniforms. Sounds like a question for Ask Bill James.

I went to a birthday dinner last year and I spoke to a friend's uncle (I used to barn tobacco for the man). He was signed by Connie Mack in '48 to play for Philadelphia . He still has the contract with Mack's signature on it.

Did Mr. McGillicutty chew? :scratchchinhmm:

Wow, that's interesting. I love these connections to the distant past, Mack made his major league debut as a player for the Washington NL team in 1886. That was before fouls were strikes, four balls were a walk, and the invention of the pitcher's mound.

Not to my knowledge, but the man I primed tobacco for (and was signed by Connie Mack) did on occasion. I think he's 88 now. Bill Harrington.

He's got a Wikipedia page - William Womble Harrington. He played parts of 3 seasons in the majors.

Archived