Caleb and our catching situation...

LAOSfan

Yes, I know it's a SSS, but Caleb has been really bad this year, both offensively and defensively. With Wieters likely gone next year and Sisco still at least a year away, does anyone think we will be looking for a starting catcher this offseason?

Yes, I know it's a SSS, but Caleb has been really bad this year, both offensively and defensively. With Wieters likely gone next year and Sisco still at least a year away, does anyone think we will be looking for a starting catcher this offseason?

I think the Pena fellow is a Major leaguer.

I am totally good with Caleb being the everyday guy and allocating what was Wieters' salary to more pressing needs.

Assuming that actually happens. It won't be put into starting pitching, save for the "best" case scenario someone in the Ubaldo/Gallardo price range. Most of it would probably go towards increasing arbitration salaries, i.e. Manny.

It's really hard to tell how he is doing because the majority of his starts have come with Ubaldo pitching, and there is just no way anybody can throw out base stealers with him pitching. The passed ball the other day was bad, but I am convinced that was at least partially on Tyler. It looked to me that CJ was expecting a fastball or possibly a pitchout on that play.

It's really hard to tell how he is doing because the majority of his starts have come with Ubaldo pitching, and there is just no way anybody can throw out base stealers with him pitching. The passed ball the other day was bad, but I am convinced that was at least partially on Tyler. It looked to me that CJ was expecting a fastball or possibly a pitchout on that play.

It is not just not getting guys it is his throws have been very poor many are tailing to the 2nd base side everytime. If he was still making good throws and not getting guys it would be one thing but his throws have been very poor. Maybe he is rushing it to much but even when Ublado is not pitching the throws have not been good.

He has also had to adapt to being a "bench" player, fewer at bats and less game familiarity with pitchers. Many thought CJ wore down as the season progressed. The opposite is also true, less work can result in decline in performance both offensively and defensively. We'll probably find out next year , unless MW signs for something like 4/36 or so.

He's 7-for-37. He's had worse slumps than this. Like the 2-for-29 start to his career, or his 3-for-50 September '14. Or 6-for-45 September '15. Ohh... that means he's now 13-for-his-last-82 (.158).

He's 7-for-37. He's had worse slumps than this. Like the 2-for-29 start to his career, or his 3-for-50 September '14. Or 6-for-45 September '15. Ohh... that means he's now 13-for-his-last-82 (.158).

That's Adam Jones territory :eek: .... :)

Bill Bergen once hit .139 in a season where he had 372 PAs. His OPS would have been the 5th-best batting average in the majors that year (aught-nine).

Sounds like a few seasons I had in little league.

Archived