Base Stealing Opinion Thread

Sessh

A lot of the more nuanced analysis indicates that pitchers do have control over exit velocity, which by definition is "hard contact." This does correlate with BABIP. And I've seen several articles pointing to infield fly rates not being random chance.

The incorrect assumption is that pitchers had a lot of control over suppressing their hits allowed; pitchers only have control over this in so far as they have control over how hard the ball is hit. They don't have any directional control.

I really enjoy that we are getting access to this better data.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really enjoy that we are getting access to this better data.

I've been a computer programmer for 30 years. 20 years from now, these stats will be laughed at for their inaccuracy and simplicity. There will be newer, better stats and the game will still be played and managed on the field. And, I suspect the new stats will have a mighty hard time modeling the behavior of humans ???

I've been a computer programmer for 30 years. 20 years from now, these stats will be laughed at for their inaccuracy and simplicity. There will be newer, better stats and the game will still be played and managed on the field. And, I suspect the new stats will have a mighty hard time modeling the behavior of humans

Well, they figured out who Banksy was based on the serial killer algorithm, so it seems like computers map human behavior better every day.

• 4 months later...

Archived