"He embarrassed himself" - O'Day rips Wegner

O's are Legends

Bad but I've seen worse. It will be interesting to see if the presumably neutral MLB Network even mentions it in their highlights.

Probably a strike 60% of the time but not a terrible call on a play that is inherently subjective (there is no rule other than the umpire's judgment).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I noticed on mothers day when I was sitting in the first row of section 18, behind the tarp... the first base ump in that game wasn't even looking at the plate when pitches were thrown. Sometimes he was flashing signs to the 2nd base ump (don't know what that was, perhaps dinner locations? ), other times he was looking at the 1st baseman and the runner. At the time I mentioned it to those who were sitting with me. We all saw it ... in today's game it may simply be that the ump wasn't watching the pitch and guessed at the call ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

O'Day needs to reel it in. Yes, the umpire missed the call, but O'Day threw two horrible pitches immediately following that ended up in the seats and that is ALL on him.

He fully acknowledged that.

The difference is O'Day and the O's pay a price for their mistakes. The umps make more each game and have no accountability. Robo Ump is log overdue.

Robo umps would not decide check swings nor has it ever been claimed that they would, so this argument is invalid. Umpires on the field would still make calls on check swings.

O'Day should have never had to throw the pitches that ended up in the seats. Yes ONE bad call can decide a game. IN this case it cost a 4 game sweep most likely, and having the best record in the AL tonite.

That call didn't decide the game, though. The inning went on and the Orioles still had the lead after that call. The Orioles lost because O'Day made bad pitches which had nothing to do with the bad call.

Robo umps would not decide check swings nor has it ever been claimed that they would, so this argument is invalid. Umpires on the field would still make calls on check swings.

That call didn't decide the game, though. The inning went on and the Orioles still had the lead after that call. The Orioles lost because O'Day made bad pitches which had nothing to do with the bad call.

I rarely have a quarrel with checked swings. What bugs me is the ever changing strike zone not just umpire to umpire but from Inning to inning for the same umpire. I see them miss too many pitches.

O'Day should have never had to throw the pitches that ended up in the seats. Yes ONE bad call can decide a game. IN this case it cost a 4 game sweep most likely, and having the best record in the AL tonite.

...and by the way, sure, O'Day wouldn't have had to make those pitches, but it's not like there's a missed call at home plate that allowed the winning run to score. That is a call that would directly decide a game that

would be completely out of the player's hands. Of course, that wouldn't happen now with instant replay thankfully. O'Day had to make one more good pitch and he threw one right down the middle to Martinez, then did

it again to Cabrera. O'Day lost his composure which had way more to do with the Orioles losing than the bad call did.

I rarely have a quarrel with checked swings. What bugs me is the ever changing strike zone not just umpire to umpire but from Inning to inning for the same umpire. I see them miss too many pitches.

Kellogg was awful today, for sure without question.

Not as bad as O'Day is making it seem. He gets paid far more to get that last strike than that ump gets to be right on close calls.

The pay has nothing to do with it.

All of the players on the field get substantially different salaries than each other, and they should expect to get the same calls as one another.

And a player that makes more than an umpire has the right to expect a game to be called competently and professionally ...... not be judged (and/or made excuses for) on a sliding scale because of the fact that the umpires' salary is less than that of that the players that are playing the game's salary are.

It was either a bad call, or it was not a bad call. If O'Day has a legitimate beef, than he has a legitimate beef. If he doesn't, then he doesn't.

Kellogg was awful today, for sure without question.
If you follow the AB on pitch fx they are all awful, some more so than others, but the more that info is available to fans the more the game's credibility comes into question. Why do we now have instant replay? Because slo mo made clear how many calls were being missed.

Not that I disagree in theory, but in practice the PitchFx is far from perfect. I don't think it would make you happier.
It's what they use to grade the Umps, so that's a step in the right direction. What they would have is a consistent strike zone, what we don't have right now.

Archived