"He embarrassed himself" - O'Day rips Wegner

O's are Legends

Not that I disagree in theory, but in practice the PitchFx is far from perfect. I don't think it would make you happier.
It's what they use to grade the Umps, so that's a step in the right direction. What they would have is a consistent strike zone, what we don't have right now.

While they use it to grade umps, the inconsistencies from pitch-to-pitch are far more impactful for in-game calls. For the grading of umps, one could assume that the inconsistencies would even out and everyone would get a relatively fair estimate of how they did. On a pitch-by-pitch basis, there is no "evening out." I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, but I don't think the fact that they use it to grade umps makes the current issues non-problematic either.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While they use it to grade umps, the inconsistencies from pitch-to-pitch are far more impactful for in-game calls. For the grading of umps, one could assume that the inconsistencies would even out and everyone would get a relatively fair estimate of how they did. On a pitch-by-pitch basis, there is no "evening out." I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, but I don't think the fact that they use it to grade umps makes the current issues non-problematic either.

A pitch fx system would be more accurate and more consistent than human umps period.

O'Day should have never had to throw the pitches that ended up in the seats. Yes ONE bad call can decide a game. IN this case it cost a 4 game sweep most likely, and having the best record in the AL tonite.
Agree. But then O'Day (who I truly love as a reliever) made a couple of mistakes, throwing 2 gopher balls that ended up in the seats and deciding the game.

"He embarrassed himself" seems too strong a language. It was a bad call but not horrendous. And yes if it was called we'd be out of the inning and probably would have won the game. But the back to back HRs is what obviously killed us and O'Day's gotta be better than that. I would still (obviously) like our chances in a tie game with our bullpen vs the Tigers' bullpen. And to note, I'm not saying certain umpires are bad (there are those for sure) but at the end of the day O'Day's got to be better than that.

Agree. But then O'Day (who I truly love as a reliever) made a couple of mistakes, throwing 2 gopher balls that ended up in the seats and deciding the game.

Yea he served those up for sure and thats on him, but, he never should have been in that situation.

Probably a strike 60% of the time but not a terrible call on a play that is inherently subjective (there is no rule other than the umpire's judgment).

I believe it is one of the toughest calls to make. It is also one that I think a team should be able to challenge once or twice a game. It is easy and fast to check in NY..just have to put a graphic over the plate and see if it breaks the plane.

"He embarrassed himself" seems too strong a language. It was a bad call but not horrendous.

Agreed. I was listening on the radio when it happened, and was surprised at how close it was to a check swing when I finally saw a replay - I assumed it was practically a full swing, the way everyone was carrying on about it.

If anyone "embarrassed himself," it was Mr. O'Day, with two of the worst consecutive pitches that I've seen him throw in his career. You blew it, Darren - own it. I know he basically does that in his statements, but whining about the ump undoes such responsibility-taking... "Yeah, it was my fault, BUT..." No BUTS.

O'Day is right and handled himself like a pro. He was visibly upset, but did not get into an argument and get tossed....BTW, I love that Joey Bats got popped! That guy carries himself like he owns the game. He arms are out over the plate and then he gets upset when the ball is close to him. I'd love to see Clemens pitch to him.

Yeah, let's be fair about this instead of crying "woe is me". That was a check swing! I listened to this on the radio as Hunter and Angel were both telling me that JD not only broke his wrists but went around. I just watched this now and there's no way on earth that either happened. Bunch of propaganda and homerism neither of which I appreciate. I want the truth, GD! Stop powdering my brain, media and give it to me straight.

I just lost a heap of respect for both of those guys. I'm moving on with this loss after being a bit disappointed yesterday. We lost. The team is still a tough out and will be a handful moving forward.

It has nothing to do with breaking wrists...that is a weak definition. It is whether the bat crosses the verticle plane of the front of home plate. They do replays of other "out" plays. Poorly called pitches have more impact on a game than almost all the replayed transactions. I am not saying that every pitch should be replayed, but there are times when a poorly or questionable checked swing strike called when there are two outs should be reviewed.

I didn't see the game but after hearing all the talk about the check swing, I finally saw it, expecting to see something that resembled a full swing...

Wow

This is what is creating such an uproar?

Sometimes its embarrassing to be a Baltimore fan (Ravens too) with so much dramatic crying...

I believe it is one of the toughest calls to make. It is also one that I think a team should be able to challenge once or twice a game. It is easy and fast to check in NY..just have to put a graphic over the plate and see if it breaks the plane.

How could a team win a challenge? There is no rule on the book. It is a pure judgment call. They would have to actually write down a rule. "Breaking the wrists", "past home plate" etc are all unwritten guidelines so it's not surprising that the calls are infuriatingly inconsistent.

The difference is O'Day and the O's pay a price for their mistakes. The umps make more each game and have no accountability. Robo Ump is log overdue.

Once computers start calling the game I think I'll need to find another sport. Is baseball perfect? No. O'Day couldn't shake off the bad call and instead grooved 2 pitches back to back.

Archived