Dylan Bundy Thread

drdelaware

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, I know the team is watching closely and isn't going to risk anything w/r/t Bundy, but from the outside the signs sure seem like they are pointing towards fatigue and increased risk of injury.

It doesn't help that Strasburg got put on the DL, with a sore throwing elbow and everybody is concerned with TJ on him, and now Bundy is starting to show signs.

I agree, I think its fatigue, its not like he has thrown a lot of innings and used to the grind.

It doesn't help that Strasburg got put on the DL, with a sore throwing elbow and everybody is concerned with TJ on him, and now Bundy is starting to show signs.

I agree, I think its fatigue, its not like he has thrown a lot of innings and used to the grind.

I don't think the situation with Strasburg has any bearing on this at all.

Some of us were expressing concerns well before Strasburg got put on the DL.

Man, I know the team is watching closely and isn't going to risk anything w/r/t Bundy, but from the outside the signs sure seem like they are pointing towards fatigue and increased risk of injury.

I am concerned that they are prioritizing this year over his long term health.

And Bundy seems like the sort that would encourage them.

Starsburg hasnt thrown well since the ASB.

I think any pitcher that had previous TJ surgery, gets a hiccup for whatever reason, there is some fear that the elbow is hosed again.

Starsburg hasnt thrown well since the ASB.

I think any pitcher that had previous TJ surgery, gets a hiccup for whatever reason, there is some fear that the elbow is hosed again.

/shrug, you can think that if you like.

I'm kinda amazed that folks on OH are not going Zoing! He must be hurt!

Most of us seem to think he is just hitting a wall from the steep increase in usage.

/shrug, you can think that if you like.

I'm kinda amazed that folks on OH are not going Zoing! He must be hurt!

Most of us seem to think he is just hitting a wall from the steep increase in usage.

IMO, i think you are right, he either hit a wall from the steep increase, or just the normal dead arm phase that most pitchers find themselves in at some point during the season.

Good article from Boswell:

'On Monday night at Camden Yards, Washington Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg, whose career was endangered by elbow ligament replacement surgery in 2010, was due to face Baltimore's Dylan Bundy, the hottest Orioles pitching prospect in the past decade, who missed multiple seasons with both elbow and shoulder miseries. The night's theme: the sport's uplifting comebacks. Can?t keep a great phenom down.

Then, a few hours before the game, Strasburg was unexpectedly put on the disabled list with a sore elbow. Yes, that elbow. A new elbow that is reconstructed is supposed to last about how long on average in MLB? Six years? Or is the consensus this week that it's eight years? Though some last forever.

This is, of course, the same Strasburg elbow in which the Nationals invested $175 million all of it guaranteed just three months ago, gambling Strasburg's arm has seven more useful years in it. The pitcher can opt out of his deal after the 2019 or 2020 seasons, if he chooses to become a free agent. But the Nationals, like all teams that sign long-term pitching contracts, have no opt-out clause for injury.

All any team can do is hire good medical staff, handle star pitchers carefully, perhaps take out an insurance policy to recoup some lost contract money in case of disaster and then . . . what? Sacrifice sacred chickens on a pyre of Louisville Sluggers on the pitcher's mound at midnight on a Friday the 13th?

The reality is that teams, and their fans, can't do anything about these scary announcements, which are usually quite vague because nobody really knows.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/stephen-strasburgs-latest-trip-to-dl-a-reminder-of-how-quickly-fortunes-change/2016/08/22/bb0302de-68b0-11e6-99bf-f0cf3a6449a6_story.html

I'm happy the Os won and Dylan got through six only yielding two.

However, he walked 4 in those six and his velocity dipped for the second straight game. That's the slowest fastball he's carried since April and his third straight decline in speed. He was a full 2 mph slower than the 96 mph fastball he carried through the previous 10 game span of stretched-out relief appearances and first three starts. He's now above 80 innings for the year. I'm certainly paying attention.

Starts Only:

Game			FourseamSinker	Change	Slider	CurveBAL@TBA (7/17/16)	96.15	0.00	86.39	0.00	77.90CLE@BAL (7/22/16)	95.74	0.00	86.40	0.00	78.08COL@BAL (7/27/16)	96.01	95.00	85.77	0.00	77.82TEX@BAL (8/2/16)	95.20	0.00	86.70	0.00	78.17BAL@CHA (8/7/16)	94.60	94.29	86.10	0.00	77.24BAL@SFN (8/12/16)	93.94	0.00	85.70	0.00	77.46

Yes, it's worth watching, and I have advocated figuring out a way to get Bundy an extra day of rest before his next start. However, I thought the life on his fastball was pretty good yesterday, despite the fact that he "only" threw 93.9 on average. Buck also mentioned that Bundy threw a lot of 2-seamers yesterday, despite his chart that calls them all four-seam fastballs.

Just hope the Orioles brass doesn't tinker too much with Bundy. Let him pitch.

I thought he looked great last night. I know he had no hitters going against Colorado and Texas but sometimes he is actually going to have to battle through a good lineup. The guy hit a low and away change up out. The double and the foul ball by Espinosa were the only other two hard hit balls of the night.

It's not like he was walking scrubs. He was being careful with their 1-5. Count me as not concerned.

Archived