Can This Team Win A Championship The Way It's Constructed?

ORIOLE33

Outside of our two seven game winning streaks, we are 14-21. We're 2-6 in our last eight games. After leading the league in hitting with RISP in April and early May, we've gotten much worse hitting in those situations. This remains a team that has trouble scoring when they don't hit home runs.

Inside our two 7 game streaks the team is 14-0.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Outside of our two seven game winning streaks, we are 14-21. We're 2-6 in our last eight games. After leading the league in hitting with RISP in April and early May, we've gotten much worse hitting in those situations. This remains a team that has trouble scoring when they don't hit home runs.

Inside our two 7 game streaks the team is 14-0.

Nope. Not enough pitching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With all the off days in the post-season you can win a championship with 3 good starters. The O's possibly have two. If they can make the playoffs they could trade for another starter at the deadline and be in business. Problem is making the playoffs.

Can they win a championship? I've got about $15k riding on if they can or not, so you know what my answer is going to be. Of course they can. This team can play with anyone, thought it before the season and still think it now.

Although I am strongly considering hedging at least the AL with Boston, as painful as that might be.

I think a better question is "Can this team make the playoffs the way it is constructed?" Because the playoffs are a lottery. As long as you make it, you have a shot of winning it all. And to me the answer is yes. I'm not particularly impressed with any of the teams in the American League outside of the Red Sox and the Mariners. They all have flaws.

No chance. This team is just too inconsistent offensively with spotty SP. It has 82-80 written all over it from what I've seen in the last 10 days.

It has 110-52 written all over it from what I saw in the first 10 days

That show you if you get into a playoffs we could got on one of those runs and win the entire thing. This team may have ups and downs but if we hit our ups at the right time could make it interesting.

Earl would disagree.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gulligl01.shtml

Obviously I am joking there but there are combinations of power and OBP that makes a 220 average palatable.

I think that part of the angst about the offense comes from the fact that we seem to have a disproportionate number of those types of players. Not me. I have learned to stop worrying and love the long bomb.

I strongly disagree with the whole premise "you just have to get in" to the playoffs. Starting pitching and defense usually wins championships. Bad starting pitching will quickly be exposed in the playoffs which makes our strategy slightly puzzling (I think O's are content being competitive). This isn't football where you play one game and turnovers can be the great equalizer. Your weaknesses will be exposed. Can you get red hot? Sure, anything is possible but less likely than football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I strongly disagree with the whole premise "you just have to get in" to the playoffs. Starting pitching and defense usually wins championships. Bad starting pitching will quickly be exposed in the playoffs which makes our strategy slightly puzzling (I think O's are content being competitive). This isn't football where you play one game and turnovers can be the great equalizer. Your weaknesses will be exposed. Can you get red hot? Sure, anything is possible but less likely than football.

Absolutely. Not just pitching, but our over aggressive offense will most likely get exposed by better playoff pitching.

The Royals starting pitching was 22nd in fWAR last year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

The Giants starting pitching was 23rd in fWAR in 2014.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

The Red Sox starting pitching was 13th in 2013.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

The Giants were 16th in 2012.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Archived