O's could end May with the worst offense in the AL for the month

wildcard

One game left. The O's have scored one more run than Twins in May. O's -108. Twins - 107. That is 4.15 runs per game for the O's. That is the struggle for dead last in the AL in runs scored.

The O's have allowed 10 more runs to score against them than the have scored.

Allowed -118, Scored 108.

They are 14 wins and 12 loses for May. Wins are the ultimate measure of whether a team has a good month. But right behind that are runs scored and runs allowed.

OBP, OPS, Slug pct, HR, total bases are all indicators of some phase of the game. But the bottom line is wins followed by how many runs are scored and allowed.

We talk about how bad the O's pitching is. For the month of May the O's rank sixth in ERA with 4.08 in the AL. But offensively the O's are 14th in the AL in runs scored with one game to go.

Kind of surprised me. How about you?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a pretty sobering wake up call.

Without that 7-0 start, we'd be a pretty mediocre team.

Everyone wants to crush the pitching, sorry, our offense has been killing us the last few weeks and here is the proof.

No more Alvarez or Rickard, play Kim every day and possibly look into bringing up someone from AAA who is raking to play for Pedro.

Time to make some changes.

The fact that they are two games over .500 in May even though the offense was down is encouraging. This offense will preform better, and all we need to do to make the playoffs is continue to be two games over .500 for each month.

The fact that they are two games over .500 in May even though the offense was down is encouraging. This offense will preform better, and all we need to do to make the playoffs is continue to be two games over .500 for each month.

Will the offense perform better though? Mark Trumbo still has the potential to regress, Wieters had a pretty good month, and who knows what to expect from Kim and Reimold if they get an increased work load.

The problem with this line of thinking is that during May we played some pretty avg to below avg teams. Our schedule only get harder from here.

jmodmir

Not really that surprised. Here's the O's runs/game for the last six years, in April and then May:

2011: 4.16, 3.93

2012: 4.17, 4.79

2013: 5.11, 5.07

2014: 4.61, 3.90

2015: 5.60, 3.28

2016: 4.70, 4.15 (with one game left)

Teams are not that consistent from one month to the next. It's par for the course. If anything, I'm surprised that 4.15 R/G is 14th in the league for this month. I would have expected to find a few teams under 4 runs/game, as there usually are a few in any given month. As you can see, we've had worse offensive Mays than this on three separate occasions in the prior five years.

I don't think it means much of anything going forward. Overall we are 6th in the AL in R/G for the season, which seems about right. We might aspire to 4th or 5th if things go well. Last year we were 7th. In 2014 we were 6th. In 2013 we were tied for 4th. So, we are in the usual ballpark.

One game left. The O's have scored one more run than Twins in May. O's -108. Twins - 107. That is 4.15 runs per game for the O's. That is the struggle for dead last in the AL in runs scored.

The O's have allowed 10 more runs to score against them than the have scored.

Allowed -118, Scored 108.

They are 14 wins and 12 loses for May. Wins are the ultimate measure of whether a team has a good month. But right behind that are runs scored and runs allowed.

OBP, OPS, Slug pct, HR, total bases are all indicators of some phase of the game. But the bottom line is wins followed by how many runs are scored and allowed.

We talk about how bad the O's pitching is. For the month of May the O's rank sixth in ERA with 4.08 in the AL. But offensively the O's are 14th in the AL in runs scored with one game to go.

I'm a bit surprised.

Mancini and Walker should be in Baltimore. It's criminal what Duquette is doing to these two guys.

Criminal? Walker has a .710 OPS at Norfolk, Mancini is at .764. What about that cries out that they must be promoted to Baltimore right now?

Did not see yesterday's game...can someone tell me why Jones is batting lead off? I know they don't want to bat Kim lead off, but what is wrong with Reimold.

I think it was an effort to shake Jones out of his slump. It's not really working and I'm not a fan of the idea.

I think it was an effort to shake Jones out of his slump. It's not really working and I'm not a fan of the idea.

Not getting Fowler really hurt the team. He would hit lead off, have better defense in OF plus Trumbo would mainly be the DH. Alvarez has been a disappointment. I wasn't expecting big things but I did think he would hit 20-25 bombs vs RHP.

Archived