O's could end May with the worst offense in the AL for the month

wildcard

Not getting Fowler really hurt the team. He would hit lead off, have better defense in OF plus Trumbo would mainly be the DH. Alvarez has been a disappointment. I wasn't expecting big things but I did think he would hit 20-25 bombs vs RHP.

Can't disagree with any of this. Fowler would have been a perfect fit, and Alvarez has been a big disappointment. He's a streaky guy and we just have to hope he heats up.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did not see yesterday's game...can someone tell me why Jones is batting lead off? I know they don't want to bat Kim lead off, but what is wrong with Reimold.

He has hit leadoff the last four games. Clearly an effort by Buck to encourage Adam to be more patient and change his approach without being seen as a demotion. So far he is 1 for 3 with a BB in four appearances leading off the game, 4 for 12 with 2 BB overall in the leadoff spot. Yesterday was AJ's first true "0-fer" since the change. I am guessing we see this continue for a while.

Will the offense perform better though? Mark Trumbo still has the potential to regress, Wieters had a pretty good month, and who knows what to expect from Kim and Reimold if they get an increased work load.

You forgot Machado. He probably isn't going to hit like he has been hitting.

Honestly, not that surprised. They have been my team for 42 years and they always will be... but, man, this is not my style of offense at all. It's not how I played, it's not how I coach, and I really just don't like watching them hack.

Not surprising when your #3,#4, now #1 hitter has an OPS+ of 75

What are you talking about? Machado (167 OPS+) is the #3 hitter and Davis (113 OPS+) is the #4 hitter. Even if you are talking May only, both are higher than 75) Sure, our leadoff hitter has been a concern since Rickard cooled off, but I have no idea what you are talking about with the #3 and #4 hitter.

Remember, we are starting a Flaherty with his .500 OPS at 3B on most games since Hardy's injury. Add in Jones' poor year so far and Alvarez's slow adjustment to the AL and you have some holes. Sure, the offense has gone into a funk of late, but we knew with this type of team they were going to go into streak like this.

I agree that losing out on Fowler really hurt. This team is much better with him leading off, playing RF every day and Trumbo DHing.

The Hardy injury also hurt the team. Although Machado has been outstanding defensively at SS, the Orioles had no good everyday options to play at 3B for a long period of time. That wasn't great planning by DD in my mind. He failed to have adequate depth if an injury occurred to his 2B, SS, or 3B. Flaherty is a utility guy who gets overexposed in an everyday role, Janish is a 4-A guy who can fill in a bit but not an everyday option either.

This is where the lack of development of a guy like Esposito hurt the organization. I've never understand what they've seen in Michael Almanzar. Yet he's the everyday 3B in AAA and that's not depth, that's filler.

What are you talking about? Machado (167 OPS+) is the #3 hitter and Davis (113 OPS+) is the #4 hitter. Even if you are talking May only, both are higher than 75) Sure, our leadoff hitter has been a concern since Rickard cooled off, but I have no idea what you are talking about with the #3 and #4 hitter.

Remember, we are starting a Flaherty with his .500 OPS at 3B on most games since Hardy's injury. Add in Jones' poor year so far and Alvarez's slow adjustment to the AL and you have some holes. Sure, the offense has gone into a funk of late, but we knew with this type of team they were going to go into streak like this.

I agree that losing out on Fowler really hurt. This team is much better with him leading off, playing RF every day and Trumbo DHing.

The Hardy injury also hurt the team. Although Machado has been outstanding defensively at SS, the Orioles had no good everyday options to play at 3B for a long period of time. That wasn't great planning by DD in my mind. He failed to have adequate depth if an injury occurred to his 2B, SS, or 3B. Flaherty is a utility guy who gets overexposed in an everyday role, Janish is a 4-A guy who can fill in a bit but not an everyday option either.

This is where the lack of development of a guy like Esposito hurt the organization. I've never understand what they've seen in Michael Almanzar. Yet he's the everyday 3B in AAA and that's not depth, that's filler.

I think he's specifically talking about Jones.

Fowler really, really hurt. I was so excited about that. It hurt our offense and defense a lot.

Fowler

Machado

Davis

Trumbo

Wieters

Schoop

Jones

Kim/Reimold

Hardy

The problem with this line of thinking is that during May we played some pretty avg to below avg teams. Our schedule only get harder from here.

jmodmir

So you don't think the offense is good enough to win two more G than they lose each month the rest of the way? I do.

I think it was an effort to shake Jones out of his slump. It's not really working and I'm not a fan of the idea.
I prefer it to other options He is less likely to GIDP because the 8 and 9 hitters rarely get on base.

Name the team that has a utility player who is also and everyday player. BOS/ Holt?

I know everyone says that is the free swinging approach that is the cause of it but in the month of May we are 4th in the American League in walks per game in May. So even though we have struck out a lot we are still walking a very good amount of time.

I know people Don't like hearing this, but this offense is overrated. They have way too many dry spells to be considered a good offense.

What they do is play a couple of bad teams and go on a tear for a few games and that raises the avg's in everything. Then they'll play a few good teams and come back down to earth for a week or so.

Archived