Fire Sale

weams

I'm not big on Cashner. He's a guy you look at as a 'project' if he's got a year or two (or more) of team control. Not when he's facing FA. His numbers look fairly mediocre while pitching half of his games in a pitcher-friendly park. I can't imagine moving to a smaller park and having to face a DH every day is going to help improve on that.

If we're looking at trading w/ the Padres, I'd prefer Pomeranz. He's left handed, seems to be doing well in the rotation and is under team control thru 2018. I'd inquire about Fernando Rodney too, depending on the price. Same with Melvin Upton. I'd have mild interest there too if San Diego is willing to eat enough of that contract.

Pretty sad we weren't in on James Shields considering the amount of money the Padres eat and the fact that the White Sox didn't really give up much. :(

Prospects. By that' date=' you don't mean Gausman, right? [b']What about Bundy[/b]? Prospect still or no longer? Schoop?

While I'm not willing to just "give him away", I don't really think Bundy belongs in the same conversation as Gausman (or Schoop for that matter).

He's not old by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a guy that is out of options, has had injury problems in the past and who went 4 seasons in between ML appearances. Not to mention he's currently in the bullpen, not the rotation, despite our SP problems. His numbers haven't exactly impressed either considering his strikeouts are well below 1 K/IP, has a WHIP of almost 2 and batters are hitting over .350 against him.

Again, not willing to just give him away, but definitely not a guy that should be in the same conversation as a young player who is "untouchable" like Gausman or a proven ML player like Schoop.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article in the OP is hilarious. Overrating Cashner big time. Talking about getting more value for Cashner at the trade deadline than a comp pick. Why would he get a comp pick? I know pitchers are getting paid but I just don't see it with him. Unless things dramatically change.

Cashner's best year he had the same WAR as Ubaldo did last year. The last two seasons he's had a neg WAR. He pitches in Petco and the NL West. Has low K numbers. I don't think this translates well to the AL East. I think he'd only slightly be better than Ubaldo/Wright/Gallardo the rest of the year, plus he's making 7 million this year.

A realistic trade for him would be SD pays his salary, and we give up some international bonus slots and some mid tier prospects like Means, Acquino, Grimes, Yaz, D.Alvarez, etc.... That's more along the lines of what they got for Shields.

Jones or Schoop for Hill or Pomeranz

Despite his struggles, there would riots if jones were traded. Also, I'm a big fan of the idea that signing schoop to an extension could help with resigning manny down the road.

Despite his struggles, there would riots if jones were traded. Also, I'm a big fan of the idea that signing schoop to an extension could help with resigning manny down the road.

Jones has sure looked very good at the top of the order.

Got to give Buck credit, when I first read that Jones was going to leadoff, I thought Buck was smoking the wacky tobacco.

Name a pitcher and we can examine if there is even a possibility. These players have a range of trade value ranging from ZERO (Alvarez and Walker) to some (Davis, Bundy, Trumbo) but not so sure.

Davis's contract may bring his trade value down to ZERO. Teams that put stock in Trumbo's past (hot starts, slow finishes) might not place much value on him.

Depending on the pitcher, I would think a package of Mike Wright, and one or two of our better prospects (Sisco) might be a starter in talks. Depending on the starter that might not be close to enough either.

Davis could have value to a team that needs a MOO bat and has surplus SP, if we ate some salary. What would the Mets give us in return for CD at 15M per? Trumbo could have value at the trade deadline if he is still hitting. Walker an Alvarez have some value depending on the teams involved, Certainly Mancini does and I forgot to add Britton.

Jones or Schoop for Hill or Pomeranz

<lol> Nothing like these annual trade player X to get player Y threads where people way over value player X

Jones has hit .230 over his last 130 games and now plays a very mediocre CF. He is owed 35+ million thru 2018.

Unless the O's pay 1/2 his salary he doesn't get you much

Schoop has some value, but the O's have no IF prospects so how can they trade him for pitching?

Name a pitcher and we can examine if there is even a possibility. These players have a range of trade value ranging from ZERO (Alvarez and Walker) to some (Davis, Bundy, Trumbo) but not so sure.

Davis's contract may bring his trade value down to ZERO. Teams that put stock in Trumbo's past (hot starts, slow finishes) might not place much value on him.

Depending on the pitcher, I would think a package of Mike Wright, and one or two of our better prospects (Sisco) might be a starter in talks. Depending on the starter that might not be close to enough either.

The chips are Bundy, Reyes, Hess, Sisco, Lee (disabled) and Mancini. Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright and Christian Walker for lesser gods.

Jones has sure looked very good at the top of the order.

Got to give Buck credit, when I first read that Jones was going to leadoff, I thought Buck was smoking the wacky tobacco.

The Yankee announcers, whom I was forced to listen too this past series, had a funny story about that. They said Buck told them he gave Jones three options: Take a few days off , bat #6, or try batting #1. He framed it so lead off was a no brainer. Then he went on to say line up construction was greatly overrated.

Davis could have value to a team that needs a MOO bat and has surplus SP, if we ate some salary. What would the Mets give us in return for CD at 15M per? Trumbo could have value at the trade deadline if he is still hitting. Walker an Alvarez have some value depending on the teams involved, Certainly Mancini does and I forgot to add Britton.

This team is not going to come close to trading Davis or Britton.

Archived