Royals looking to move Ventura on heels of brawl

BohKnowsBmore

He is an ass. But an ass who throws 99 MPH and is under team control and affordable. If you're willing to sacrifice issues of character and hope that he can be "rehabilitated" it would be interesting. It'll never happen though. Hell, we signed KRod come to think of it.

Short term rental, and he didnt stick around.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is an ass. But an ass who throws 99 MPH and is under team control and affordable. If you're willing to sacrifice issues of character and hope that he can be "rehabilitated" it would be interesting. It'll never happen though. Hell, we signed KRod come to think of it.

The O's trading for him would be like the Nats acquiring a pitcher who fought with Harper. Oh wait...

Ventura to the O's is an insane idea. We may not have the payroll of other teams or the farm system or a smart GM or a starting pitching staff to speak of but what we do have is team chemistry. Don't mess with it.

Didn't DD trade for Pedro? This could be the Pedro of his Orioles tenure. He's a clown but if you can get him for nothing, you do it and hope he matures.
I hope you're not comparing Pedro to Ventura and besides Buck has a say in these things. Never happen.

I hope you're not comparing Pedro to Ventura and besides Buck has a say in these things. Never happen.

Comparing them as in both guys are hotheads with live arms. Ventura will obviously never be Pedro but he has the upside of a #2 starter. He was excellent two years ago.

Comparing them as in both guys are hotheads with live arms. Ventura will obviously never be Pedro but he has the upside of a #2 starter. He was excellent two years ago.
Would you call Bob Gibson a hot head if so then I would say Pedro is a hot head like him. Ventura is a hot head like DCab or Benitez. If Ventura is such an asset to the team why is KC trying to dump him and his team mates aren't backing him up?

Tell me that you know about the player aside from all the awfulness that I am aware of.

I would add this. The KC announcers last night pointed out (at least twice) that when Ventura came into the dugout, none of his teammates sat near him, talked to him or looked at him.

From the Deadspin's article on the brawl "oyals fan here. He deserved everything he got from Machado. This is his fourth or fifth incident since the start of last season. He’s shown no growth in maturity or composure.

None of his teammates coming near him on the bench afterward says enough about how they feel about his continuing antics.

And his hardest pitch of the night was that throw at Machado. Classless. I think Yost will remove him from the rotation (the suspension will help). He absolutely has the talent to be an ace, but he doesn’t have the mental makeup. Don’t think he ever will."

I'd still acquire him if he was available for chump change, but I don't think it will happen. Sounds like his teammates are tired of him as well. Knowing Buck, there is no way he'd want him in the dugout.

From the Deadspin's article on the brawl...

I have a few friends that are Royals fans and they are beyond done with him after last night. I was pretty surprised that they all were unified in their criticism of Ventura and could not wait to just get rid of him. My favorite comment from a friend was: "He is out of control, and finally wrote a check his face cashed. He's not good enough to be that big of an ***hole."

That's actually kinda funny. Tell you what though, the guys you hate the most while on another team sometimes make the best teammates. In Venture that might not be the case, but if he could be had for something like Wright, Mancini and Lee, I'd make that trade and hope Buck can get him to mature.

It's all part of DD's master plan. Start brawl then trade for pitcher. In all seriousness, I have a feeling he's going to the Sox or Jays. Definitely not an NL team where he has to bat.

I'd give them the two guys we got for Matusz, or the equivalent of those two. But, no Bundy, no Mancini, no Sisco. No way I'd trade them a highly rated prospect. If I were able to get him, I'd start him in Norfolk and tell him his call up depends on performance and attitude on the field and than be true to my word. I actually think this clubhouse could easily handle an abashed Ventura. The current version in unacceptable.

Abandon any hope of a Manny extension in that case.

Well, having Ventura on the team could be sold as protecting Manny.... ;)

edit: To add a thought, considering no one seems to believe it wasn't intentional (KC included), I think that should at least be considered when suspensions get handed down.

Archived