vs. MARINERS, 7/03

Sessh

Cubs are probably going to get swept in New York. It happens to the best of us.

Yeah, we don't have an Arrieta. Or even a Lester. Our pitching has been like those old cartoons where Wiley Coyote runs off the edge of a cliff. He keeps running for a while against the laws of gravity...until he looks down...then Down he goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, we don't have an Arrieta. Or even a Lester. Our pitching has been like those old cartoons where Wiley Coyote runs off the edge of a cliff. He keeps running for a while against the laws of gravity...until he looks down...then Down he goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lester got rocked today.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Something stood out to me last night about Kimbrel. The Os needed an out in the 8th inning and there doesn’t seem like there was a consideration to have Kimbrel get a 4 out save. Now I can’t say I blame Hyde for that, just that it could be an issue come playoff time.  Most teams are able to ask their closers to do that and I’m not sure the Os will do that with him or even trust him to do that. They would do that with Felix at times. Just have to get multiple high leverage relievers this deadline.
    • Trusting 2 rookies, one who was not good in his brief stay in MLB and has also been hurt, and one who is marginal at 3B and inexperienced at 1B, seems very risky defensively. I'm not sure Elias would put Holiday and Mayo on a team going to the playoffs given their defensive limitations. I could be mistaken. That OF is very left handed, with the exception of Santander. I still think Luis Robert makes this team so much better than just about any other player you could add. If he's healthy.  https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-robert-jr-trade-fits-2024
    • The thinking would be to let Kimbrel absorb some of the 3 run, and 2 run, save attempts while not going forced to go with Bautista in back to back games so often. If Dave Robertson is a perennial 1 yr 8-10ish million reliever as a set up man, then Kimbrel at 13 is pretty fair.  It’s a long ways away. More focused on this year. As of now, Kimbrel is an All Star. Agreed that this is possibly his high water mark as far as his averaged numbers go. 
    • I was about to say the same thing. @vab must be a youngster, because there are a few examples, with this being the best one.
    • We were watching on TV and my daughter was the first to say how loud it seemed.  It definitely came thru on TV.
    • He had several days off during the losing streak and it appears to have helped him. What worries me is even if Hyde does a better job managing his innings in the second half there isn’t much he can do in the playoffs if he is our defacto closer. 
  • Popular Contributors