Catching foul tips

Frobby

This is a catching skill that you never hear anything about. We all know about CS%, pitch blocking and even some pitch framing data, but I've never seen any measure of how often a catcher catches a foul tip. Nor am I aware of data on how often foul tips occur.

I bring this up because I have opinions about our three catchers' skills in this area, that I can't back up with data:

1. Wieters is absolutely great at catching foul tips. I've seen him catch many that were deflected at odd angles and his reaction time was instantaneous.

2. Joseph is about average at catching foul tips from what I can see.

3. Pena was really bad at catching foul tips. I saw him drop several that were right in his glove while he was in Baltimore.

Of course, on strikes 1 and 2, it doesn't really matter. On strike 3, it's the difference between an out and an at bat that continues, so it's a pretty important skill.

Does anyone know of data on this topic, and does anyone else have opinions about whether some of our catchers are better than others?

I don't think I ever thought about it until I saw Pena, as I also noticed that he seemed to drop a lot that I have become used to Wieters catching.

I do wonder if it is actually related to reactions, because I can't see anyone having reactions quick enough to respond to the tip. I'm guessing its more of preparation and knowledge of a pitch.

There is no skill involved, it's all luck. Human beings can't react fast enough for it to be a skill.

I wouldnt go that far, but I do understand you saying that the redirection is too fast to react. In my opinion it would have to do with how well a catcher can catch a ball that doesnt hit in the pocket of the glove. It is of my opinion that the catchers who are better at catching these balls would have the following:

-Bigger hands and thus a bigger glove

-Stronger hands, because they are able to with stand the 90+ impact of the ball hitting the palm or fingers and then still close the glove on it.

Just some food for thought.

There is no skill involved, it's all luck. Human beings can't react fast enough for it to be a skill.

I'm a catcher, have been my whole life. There is definitely some luck involved but there is a lot of skill involved as well. Just as hitting and reacting to hard hit balls are reliant on strong hand/eye coordination this is as well. The ability to react off of the swing of the batter, the location of the pitch, the type of pitch coming, are all important to be able to catch these tips. There are several drills that you can do to improve these functions as well. Catching these balls are also a factor of having soft hands, knowing when to squeeze the mitt etc. It's muscle memory. Human beings aren't supposed to react fast enough in Nascar to avoid crashes or debris at 200 MPH but they do. It's definitely a skill that is possessed and can be strengthened.

I was wondering if catching foul tips might be inversely related to pitch framing. To steal a pitch that is an inch or two off the plate, a catcher might choose to catch the ball not in the dead center of the glove, to give the illusion that since the glove is partway over the plate, the ball must have been over the plate. Then, when the foul tip occurs, it's harder to catch, as compared to a catcher who is just trying to catch everything in the center of the glove. Does that make any sense?

I'm a catcher, have been my whole life. There is definitely some luck involved but there is a lot of skill involved as well. Just as hitting and reacting to hard hit balls are reliant on strong hand/eye coordination this is as well. The ability to react off of the swing of the batter, the location of the pitch, the type of pitch coming, are all important to be able to catch these tips. There are several drills that you can do to improve these functions as well. Catching these balls are also a factor of having soft hands, knowing when to squeeze the mitt etc. It's muscle memory. Human beings aren't supposed to react fast enough in Nascar to avoid crashes or debris at 200 MPH but they do. It's definitely a skill that is possessed and can be strengthened.

I'm with Ms. on this.

Archived