Rarest of Baseball Observances?

Filmstudy

I've seen a player hit for the cycle at least 4 times in Orioles games.

I've seen a number of no hitters.

I've seen a bunch of triple plays.

I can only vaguely recall once previously seeing a balk due to a dropped baseball before.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kerry Wood did it once. He used to spin the ball behind his back while he was looking in for the sign. It came out of his hands once. But this one was special because it almost looked like he just decided to drop it. It didn't slip out.

I've seen a player hit for the cycle at least 4 times in Orioles games.

I've seen a number of no hitters.

I've seen a bunch of triple plays.

I can only vaguely recall once previously seeing a balk due to a dropped baseball before.

I've seen it a few times but then I've been watching baseball 61 years.

o

I saw the Los Angeles Rams get 3 safeties in one quarter against the New York Giants in September of 1984.

Safeties are rare in football.

2 safeties in one game is almost unheard of.

3 safeties in one quarter is ...... there are no words to describe it.

Funny thing, on Wall to Wall Baseball today Steve Johnson was asked to explain the balk rule, and as part of a long answer he described how he lost a collegiate playoff game by dropping a ball while his foot was in contact with the rubber. Davis then opined that it was silly for that to be prart of the balk rule, since there's no deception of the runner involved. And I was thinking that I've never seen thappen. And I still haven't, because I didn't see the last half of today's game! But it's bizarre how that occurred the same day that Johnson mentioned it. By the way, what a lousy way to end your college season!

Kerry Wood did it once. He used to spin the ball behind his back while he was looking in for the sign. It came out of his hands once. But this one was special because it almost looked like he just decided to drop it. It didn't slip out.

That was the craziest thing I've seen in a long time. Like you said, he just opened his hand and released the ball. What in the hell was he thinking? I'll take it, though.

Went to a Pirates game as a kid. Saw an extra inning combined no hitter. I believe it may still be the only time it's ever happened. Astros used a bunch of pitchers in one but I don't think it went to extra innings. I was in attendance today. Seems like a decent percentage of my trips see memorable oddities

I was at Camden Yards both times that a homer was hit into the upper deck. Rex Hudler and Mark Reynolds. Its only happened twice and I was there both times!

I was only a kid when Hudler did that. It went straight over my head and never came down.

Archived