Trade deadline possibilities

ChuckS

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per sources, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/padres?src=hash">#padres</a> also wanted <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> minor league LHP Garrett Cleavinger and RHP Jhon Peluffo in Jimenez/Upton deal.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 26, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per sources, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/padres?src=hash">#padres</a> also wanted <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> minor league LHP Garrett Cleavinger and RHP Jhon Peluffo in Jimenez/Upton deal.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 26, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
First time I heard of those guys. I'm sure there would have been howling and gnashing of teeth if the trade had gone down though.

You don't follow the minors, huh?

Considering Cleavinger was a decently high pick last year who has done very, very well this year showing great k rate with high velo as a lefty, he must not.

Considering Cleavinger was a decently high pick last year who has done very, very well this year showing great k rate with high velo as a lefty, he must not.

He looks like the LH version of Brad Brach in the minors is what I've heard. Seen his numbers and I'm impressed how wel he's doing

He looks like the LH version of Brad Brach in the minors is what I've heard. Seen his numbers and I'm impressed how wel he's doing

So to summarize the Jay's offer vs. the O's offer for Melvin is that the Padres are/would have saved appx. 5 million on both but would have garnered 3 players from the O's vs. the 1 A ball player from the Jay's.

Comparing Garrett Cleavinger to Hansel Rodriguez alone based on stats in 2015 & 2016. I agree with the Peter. I would not have done this deal either. Even Jhon Peluffo who is the same age as Hansel has better career stats in rookie ball.

So the summarize the Jay's offer vs. the O's offer for Melvin is that the Padres are/would have saved appx. 5 million on both but would have garnered 3 players from the O's vs. the 1 A ball player from the Jay's.

I think it's because either Dan realized we were overpaying and backed off, or if sources are to be believed, that Angelos came down and wanted more for what he was sending away. O's would have overpaid, but Jays paid a good price for him, and he's Toronto's responsibility financially next year.

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

So to summarize the Jay's offer vs. the O's offer for Melvin is that the Padres are/would have saved appx. 5 million on both but would have garnered 3 players from the O's vs. the 1 A ball player from the Jay's.

We didn't want to let them save that money...that's why deal didn't go down.

1 bad starter, 1 meh reliever and one godly lefty reliever vs an average A 1B. That's pretty much it

1 bad starter, 1 meh reliever and one godly lefty reliever vs an average A 1B. That's pretty much it

Pardon me. Turns out peluffo is a starter who is putting up good numbers for the GCL Orioles. Don't pay attention to anything lower than Aberdeen, my apologies. Still would have been an overpay though

We didn't want to let them save that money...that's why deal didn't go down.

Or could it be that Dan really is working for Toronto? Consider the facts: He signs no one last off season which helps the Jays win the division, and now he lets them get Upton.

Or could it be that Dan really is working for Toronto? Consider the facts: He signs no one last off season which helps the Jays win the division, and now he lets them get Upton.

Do you buy into a lot of conspiracy theories?

Dan did not let Toronto get Upton. They simply offered something we could not, true salary relief.

I have no doubt Dan is doing his best job to help us win now. Only slight concern, is that he may not plan on being here past 2018 which may have an impact on how he addresses the long term health of the organization.

Archived