Trade deadline possibilities

ChuckS

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The revolving TBD door and Bundy. I'd really like it if we didn't run Bundy's arm and shoulder into the ground like his high school coaches did.

He pitched 80+ pitches last time out in 5 2/3 innings.

Seems to me he is likely going to be a 5-6 IP type guy. I don't think that is running Bundy's arm/shoulder down. In HS I heard he started both games of a doubleheader the same day...

Seems to me he is likely going to be a 5-6 IP type guy. I don't think that is running Bundy's arm/shoulder down. In HS I heard he started both games of a doubleheader the same day...

He'd probably try it again if Buck asked.

he had 8 strikeouts, high strikeout pitchers, generally do have higher pitch counts

he had 8 strikeouts, high strikeout pitchers, generally do have higher pitch counts

The top 5 in K/9 among starts are Fernandez, Scherzer, Syndergaard, Strasburg and Ray. They average 15.9, 15.6, 15.4, 15.5 and 18.3 P/IP (Kershaw and his 13.8 are at #6).

The bottom 5 in K/9 average 17.3, 15.8, 15.7, 15.9, 16.0 P/IP

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/sort/strikeoutsPerNineInnings/type/expanded-2/order/false

I'm not seeing the connection between a high K rate and high pitch counts.

They do tend to throw about .4 more pitches per batter but they face less batters per inning.

The top 5 in K/9 among starts are Fernandez, Scherzer, Syndergaard, Strasburg and Ray. They average 15.9, 15.6, 15.4, 15.5 and 18.3 P/IP (Kershaw and his 13.8 are at #6).

The bottom 5 in K/9 average 17.3, 15.8, 15.7, 15.9, 16.0 P/IP

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/sort/strikeoutsPerNineInnings/type/expanded-2/order/false

I'm not seeing the connection between a high K rate and high pitch counts.

They do tend to throw about .4 more pitches per batter but they face less batters per inning.

good point, I guess my belief is just an old school myth.

That is obviously a small sample size but I think it holds true when expanded. The key to low pitch counts is mostly avoiding baserunners, particularly walks..

That ore getting alot of groundball double plays. When you can get two outs in one pitch that makes a huge difference.

Does anyone think there is a chance of buying low on Sonny Gray and make him concentrate on his sinker to produce ground balls. Anyway, just an idea, as his fastball hasn't been missing bats this last year. I don't know what we would have to give up but worth kicking some tyres on imo

That is obviously a small sample size but I think it holds true when expanded. The key to low pitch counts is mostly avoiding baserunners, particularly walks..

I was reading MASN and saw this quote from Bundy last night:

Bundy fanned a career-best eight tonight on a career-high 89 pitches. But when a reporter suggested that was impressive, Bundy did not agree. ?I don?t look at it as impressive. Strikeouts make your pitch count go up."

Archived