I still put my money on Mullins

Thats Baseball

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, if he continues to hit .500 and hit 3 homers every 4 games, I agree he'll get called up in September.    

If he keeps that pace up, there is an outside chance. Remember, Buck likes his guys.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He might even make some mid-season top 100 lists.

You sure about that? He might have an outside Chance (HA!) to sneak in if he keeps hitting like this...

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

You axe and the Trog Frog heps you Joey!  What a man!!  but what is the answer?  Too much bs to pour through ;-)

The answer is "see how he is doing later on in the season."

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

I think we should be sure to use perspective when looking at prospects, but I wish some on this board, especially the frequent posters who carry a lot of respect and weight in this community, could find a halfway point between rah-rah boosterism and sarcastic wet blanket.   

Fair enough.   The truth is, I'm excited by what Mullins is doing.   But every year people look at something that happens the first week or two and assign it far more significance than it would get if the same thing had happened in July.    That's really all I'm trying to say.    

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fair enough.   The truth is, I'm excited by what Mullins is doing.   But every year people look at something that happens the first week or two and assign it far more significance than it would get if the same thing had happened in July.    That's really all I'm trying to say.    

It's also why I said "IF he can keep up a good pace."

Skipping a level and having heard the old "you'll know what type of player someone is in Double A" and doing very good in it so far, piggybacking off of the spring he had? A bit of a way to show that it wasn't a fluke.

Now, do I think he will keep hitting 3 home runs every 5 games and keep up the .500 average? Oh hell no. But, I also don't think he will drop off a cliff and end up below .200 in July unless he stabs himself in both eyes.

On April 6, 2017 at 10:48 PM, ChuckS said:

4 for 5 and a double short of the cycle in his double A debut. 

I'm not trying to get carried away over one game, but if he was 6'0 instead of 5'8 and drafted in the first round instead of the thirteenth round this kid would be considered a top ten prospect easily.  

Last year was his first full year in professional baseball.  I'm not sure if this was pointed out before but he was 

.293 .335 .510 .844

in the second half last year.   I like his chances.  Platoon/fourth outfielder at worst.  Staring caliber player at best.  High floor and higher ceiling than I think has been recognized so far. 

I don't think there are 10 guys in the system with more trade value, which is how I'd rank them. 

On April 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM, POR said:

Prospects does not always improve linearly.  It seemed like in Mullins' case, a light bulb went on toward the end of last year and he suddenly put it together. 

Mookie Betts was drafted out of high school so he was younger, but in 2013 he was struggling in low A, when all of sudden he figured thing out and Betts was in the MLB in 2014 and staring by 2015.  That is an extreme case, but it sure would be nice if the Orioles had a player become a star out of no where like that.    

Mookie was nearly a Volunteer, bright young man.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wow!  Always wisdom and perspective!  So dif from the wildcards and RZNJ's (joke joke).  Love what all you guys (you too Can, Ruzious, Chuck, Gordo, etc.) bring to the table.  That's why I pay my $25/annually so I can sit back, be spoon fed and sit on my retirement couch and watch life go by!  C'mon Drungo get into the fray!  And let's not forget the aging catalyst, dilettante and nom de plume weams!

bobmc (73 and faltering)

5 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

Wow!  While watching and listening to his commentary I wondered about Josh Hart and why he has "failed" thus far - scouts saw similar talents and abilities.  Life is amazing - stay hungry and stick to the grind and you will find your bliss wherever it is - baseball and life.  Thanks Cumberbundy!

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good find on the video. Rep to you sir. 

Mullins is killing it this year.  We don't have too many hitting prospects to follow but he's a must check the box score kinda guy. Seems like an easy guy to root for. 

Dare I?  The next Mookie!  *

*Wilson

Archived