I still put my money on Mullins

Thats Baseball

He was barely hitting .250 for much of the season in Delmarva. It's a little crazy to suggest starting him out at Bowie.

He needs to improve his plate discipline (37 walks/101 K's in 517 at bats). Then he's a top five prospect considering all the other tools that he possesses.

Using that logic, do you think it was CRAZY to promote DJ Stewart when he was hitting .230 in 262 plate appearances at Delmarva - a year after hitting .218 in 268 plate appearances at Aberdeen?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Using that logic, do you think it was CRAZY to promote DJ Stewart when he was hitting .230 in 262 plate appearances at Delmarva - a year after hitting .218 in 268 plate appearances at Aberdeen?

DJ Stewart was an unusual situation and something you almost never see. He was also also a 22 year old first round draft pick underperforming in Delmarva. They wanted to get him a change of scenery.

You are providing one extreme example of a player being promoted when the results didn't warrant it to prove a point. I can give you 100 examples of when that didn't happen just within our organization in 2016. The DJ Stewart promotion is not a model for how the O's organization or any other organization typically does things.

DJ Stewart was an unusual situation and something you almost never see. He was also also a 22 year old first round draft pick underperforming in Delmarva. They wanted to get him a change of scenery.

You are providing one extreme example of a player being promoted when the results didn't warrant it to prove a point. I can give you 100 examples of when that didn't happen just within our organization in 2016. The DJ Stewart promotion is not a model for how the O's organization or any other organization typically does things.

Huh? I never said organizations typically do that. That's why I piped in - because it's not normally done - and maybe it should be done more often. How does the fact that it's not normally done prove that it shouldn't be done more often? And trying something only because a guy's a 1st round pick is not sound reasoning.

Huh? I never said organizations typically do that. That's why I piped in - because it's not normally done - and maybe it should be done more often. How does the fact that it's not normally done prove that it shouldn't be done more often? And trying something only because a guy's a 1st round pick is not sound reasoning.

The situations are not comparable. Mullins is progressing slowly and nicely, so no reason to disrupt that by having him skip Frederick.

If he dominates that level in the first half on '17 then it might make sense, but not before that.

The situations are not comparable. Mullins is progressing slowly and nicely, so no reason to disrupt that by having him skip Frederick.

If he dominates that level in the first half on '17 then it might make sense, but not before that.

I don't even necessarily disagree with that. I'm just tired of the assumption that it has to be that way with the typical one size fits all attitude - and everything else is CRAZY.

I don't even necessarily disagree with that. I'm just tired of the assumption that it has to be that way with the typical one size fits all attitude - and everything else is CRAZY.

I think as an organization you have to be consistent with what your standards are.

We used to be really aggressive in promoting players (in the early and mid 2000's) and it didn't work out well at all. I remember prospects like Keith Reed, Tim Raines Jr. and Jeff Fiorentino going from Single A to Triple A over a single season without ever really proving themselves at the lower level. In most cases, the players fizzled out pretty quickly after reaching the bigs.

Mullins will be at the Instructionals.

The instructional league roster:

Pitchers: Keegan Akin, Brandon Bonilla, Xavier Borde, Jacob Bray, Garrett Cleavinger, Matt De La Rosa, Jose Diaz, Matthias Dietz, Cody Dube, Tyler Erwin, Ruben Garcia, Hector Guance, David Hess, Nick Jobst, Steven Klimek, Max Knutson, Jesus Liranzo, Ryan Meisinger, Ryan Moseley, Zack Muckenhirn, Tobias Myers, Jhon Peluffo, Ofelky Peralta, Luis Perez, Willie Rios, Yelin Rodriguez, Cody Sedlock, James Teague, Alexander Wells, Gillian Wernet.

Catchers: Daniel Fajardo, Alfredo Gonzalez, Stuart Levy, Alex Murphy, Chris Shaw.

Infielders: Carlos Baez, Chris Clare, Seamus Curran, Jaime Estrada, Alejandro Juvier, Kirvin Moesquit, Ryan Mountcastle, Irving Ortega, Preston Palmeiro, Jomar Reyes, Alexis Torres, Steve Wilkerson, Guiyuan (Itchy) Xu.

Outfielders: Cole Billingsley, Natanael Delgado, Jaylen Ferguson, Tristan Graham, Gerrion Grim, Austin Hays, Ryan McKenna, Cedric Mullins.

Rehab: Brenan Hanifee, Hunter Harvey, Branden Kline, Chris Lee, Lazaro Leyva.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/09/the-orioles-2016-instructional-league-roster.html

I think as an organization you have to be consistent with what your standards are.

We used to be really aggressive in promoting players (in the early and mid 2000's) and it didn't work out well at all. I remember prospects like Keith Reed, Tim Raines Jr. and Jeff Fiorentino going from Single A to Triple A over a single season without ever really proving themselves at the lower level. In most cases, the players fizzled out pretty quickly after reaching the bigs.

I wouldn't skip players over AA either. That's the real proving ground in the minors, imo. Frederick isn't - as you can see by the results of the players you mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...
Wonder if Haniffee and Lazaro Leyva had TJ surgery and I just never heard about it.

Leyva was close to pitching when he started to have shoulder issues. He was throwing in the instructional leagues though I'm not sure if he got into any games yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/10/2016 at 10:02 PM, Thats Baseball said:

If you look at his total numbers, his slash line looks so off.

http://www.27outsbaseball.com/baltimore-orioles/player-profile-cedric-mullins/

o

Spring Notes on Cedric Mullins, Trey Mancini, and Jesus Liranzo

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/03/spring-training-notes-on-cedric-mullins-trey-mancini-and-jesus-liranzo.html

o

Archived