I still put my money on Mullins

Thats Baseball

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear he's getting a shot a Bowie.  Push him to see what he's made of.

My comp for him is Chone Figgins V2.  Smaller stature player.  Good speed.  A little pop in the bat.  Potential for multi positional diversity.  A gamer.

Haven't compared their MiL numbers, but what Mullins is doing in the minors reminds me of what Figgins did in the majors.  He showed a good eye at the plate in college.  Perhaps his BB and K rates will continue to improve this year.

On the surface, I think it's a good comp.  Go Ced!

4 for 5 and a double short of the cycle in his double A debut. 

I'm not trying to get carried away over one game, but if he was 6'0 instead of 5'8 and drafted in the first round instead of the thirteenth round this kid would be considered a top ten prospect easily.  

Last year was his first full year in professional baseball.  I'm not sure if this was pointed out before but he was 

.293 .335 .510 .844

in the second half last year.   I like his chances.  Platoon/fourth outfielder at worst.  Staring caliber player at best.  High floor and higher ceiling than I think has been recognized so far. 

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

4 for 5 and a double short of the cycle in his double A debut. 

I'm not trying to get carried away over one game, but if he was 6'0 instead of 5'8 and drafted in the first round instead of the thirteenth round this kid would be considered a top ten prospect easily.  

.709 OPS in 309 PA at Aberdeen at age 20.

.785 OPS at Delmarva at age 21.

I doubt that would earn him top 10 status no matter what his height was.    That said, he's clearly got everyone's attention based on how he's looked this spring.    I could see him meriting a top 10 spot if he posts a .750ish OPS at Bowie and plays good defense.   He's certainly off to a good start.  

I think you are underselling a bit the ability he has shown to adjust and improve between levels and as the season goes along as evidence by his .844 second half OPS last year. That goes in hand with him opening eyes during Spring Training by seemingly raising his level of play again.

The walk rate and right side splits need to improve, but I am optimistic that they will. Then we may have something here.

24 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think you are underselling a bit the ability he has shown to adjust and improve between levels and as the season goes along as evidence by his .844 second half OPS last year. That goes in hand with him opening eyes during Spring Training by seemingly raising his level of play again.

The walk rate and right side splits need to improve, but I am optimistic that they will. Then we may have something here.

Agreed.  It seems like people don't factor in that he's a CFer - and a good one - from what I've read.  He's not the next Mookie Betts, but he should be rated higher, imo - as I said last season.    

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I doubt that would earn him top 10 status no matter what his height was.    That said, he's clearly got everyone's attention based on how he's looked this spring.    I could see him meriting a top 10 spot if he posts a .750ish OPS at Bowie and plays good defense.   He's certainly off to a good start.  

Nitpicking, but I wouldn't be too excited with a .750 OPS this year. Maybe that slots him at #10 and a useful potential 4th OFer, but I want to see more than that, over a full MiL season, if he's a future starter.

I remember when Xavier Avery went on a 1-2 month tear. Dude had helium for a bit, before crashing back down. Show us a full season at .800+ and I'll be really intrigued.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Prospects does not always improve linearly.  It seemed like in Mullins' case, a light bulb went on toward the end of last year and he suddenly put it together. 

Mookie Betts was drafted out of high school so he was younger, but in 2013 he was struggling in low A, when all of sudden he figured thing out and Betts was in the MLB in 2014 and staring by 2015.  That is an extreme case, but it sure would be nice if the Orioles had a player become a star out of no where like that.    

11 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Nitpicking, but I wouldn't be too excited with a .750 OPS this year. Maybe that slots him at #10 and a useful potential 4th OFer, but I want to see more than that, over a full MiL season, if he's a future starter.

I remember when Xavier Avery went on a 1-2 month tear. Dude had helium for a bit, before crashing back down. Show us a full season at .800+ and I'll be really intrigued.

Jumping two levels, a .750 OPS from a good defensive OF would excite me.    

Archived