I still put my money on Mullins

Thats Baseball

With a week left in the minor league season? No point.

This guy has to be considered an org. top ten prospect. Half way through the minor league season it seemed we had no outfielders in the system with much upside.

Now we have three: Mullins, Hays, and Gassaway. Could be your Frederick outfield to start next season.

I enjoyed the story about Bryce Harper and Kris Bryant playing on the same team so I got curious. Come to find out Gassaway, Hart, and Mullins played on the same travel ball team when they younger. It would have been crazy if all three would have patrolled the outfield on the same professional team.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a week left in the minor league season? No point.

This guy has to be considered an org. top ten prospect. Half way through the minor league season it seemed we had no outfielders in the system with much upside.

Now we have three: Mullins, Hays, and Gassaway. Could be your Frederick outfield to start next season.

Them plus DJ Stewart - hopefully promoted to Bowie and with mechanics that work.

Keep an eye on Delmarva outfielder Cedric Mullins, a 13th-round pick in 2015 out of Campbell University who batted .300/.346/.480 with six doubles, four home runs, 12 RBIs and 15 runs scored in 24 games in August.

Mullins is listed at 5 foot 8, but there's nothing small about the praise I'm hearing. And some of it is coming from Showalter, who's brought up Mullins' name on multiple occasions.

In four September games, Mullins went 8-for-17 with two home runs and five RBIs. It wasn't just an August thing.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/09/random-notes-and-thoughts.html

That would be very surprising - considering they didn't promote him to Frederick this year. But I like your idea.

Why rush him? If he performs well in Frederick in the first half then you can promote him in July or August.

I'm not sure there is anyone in the system that has earned the right to skip a level other than some of the college draft picks, who may be able to skip Delmarva.

Why rush him? If he performs well in Frederick in the first half then you can promote him in July or August.

I'm not sure there is anyone in the system that has earned the right to skip a level other than some of the college draft picks, who may be able to skip Delmarva.

Mullins is a college draft pick. I could see the move to Bowie. Buck likes him. Maybe a spring training, non roster invite will give some insight next year.

Mullins is a college draft pick. I could see the move to Bowie. Buck likes him. Maybe a spring training, non roster invite will give some insight next year.

Can you think of any examples of guys who played a full season at Delmarva and then skipped Frederick entirely? The last time I recall that happening was Daniel Cabrera in 2004 (and he then was promoted to the Orioles after only five games). The relief pitcher Liranzo was promoted from Delmarva to Bowie in the middle of this season, I believe because we had to make a decision this winter about whether to protect him on the 40-man roster this winter. But I can't think of a position player who skipped Frederick.

It's not really about earning the right; it's about what's going to help the player become a quality big-leaguer in the best time. DJ Stewart didn't earn a promotion to Frederick - his stats were worse than Mullens' and Mountcastle's - but it appears to have been the right move. Mullens will be 22 next year. 21 is a good age to start at Frederick. 22 is on the high side - if you think he's a legit prospect. They shouldn't just automatically put guys over 21 in Frederick, imo - if they've proven themselves in Delmarva (which Stewart didn't even do). Weigh the facts and circumstances for what's best for that prospect.

Here is an interesting article about the average age when MLB players make their debut: http://sonsofsamhorn.com/baseball/hitting/hitting-statistical-analysis/the-aging-curve-in-major-league-baseball/

If you go by this, to be at the average of 24.4 years old when debuting-Mullins would need to debut early in the 2019 season. He could play at Frederick to start next year, get promoted to Bowie midway through the year and still have a full year to play at AAA. Often players do skip over AAA on their way to the majors. Starting him out at Frederick next year would seem to be on the path of a normal development rate for a future potential Major League player.

He was barely hitting .250 for much of the season in Delmarva. It's a little crazy to suggest starting him out at Bowie.

He needs to improve his plate discipline (37 walks/101 K's in 517 at bats). Then he's a top five prospect considering all the other tools that he possesses.

He was barely hitting .250 for much of the season in Delmarva. It's a little crazy to suggest starting him out at Bowie.

He needs to improve his plate discipline (37 walks/101 K's in 517 at bats). Then he's a top five prospect considering all the other tools that he possesses.

Yeah - he had a nice season and certainly made those who didn't notice him last year take notice of him this year.

But it's not like he was so dominant that skipping a level would be warranted. I'm sure he'll be at Frederick for most of next year. In a perfect world, maybe he keeps developing and can take over for Jones who slides to right.

Archived