I still put my money on Mullins

Thats Baseball

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/10/2016 at 10:02 PM, Thats Baseball said:

IF you look at his total numbers, his slash line looks so off.

http://www.27outsbaseball.com/baltimore-orioles/player-profile-cedric-mullins/

On 3/24/2017 at 4:56 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Spring Notes on Cedric Mullins, Trey Mancini, and Jesus Liranzo

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/03/spring-training-notes-on-cedric-mullins-trey-mancini-and-jesus-liranzo.html

o

o

For His Latest Trick, Cedric Mullins Homered off of Craig Kimbrel

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/03/for-his-latest-trick-cedric-mullins-homered-off-craig-kimbrel.html

o

Most habitually undervalued prospect in our system.  He's an XBH machine and the only legitimate leadoff prospect on the farm.  

I'd like to see him get that OBP up over .340 this season.  Then I think he could be a player to get excited about.  

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Most habitually undervalued prospect in our system.  He's an XBH machine and the only legitimate leadoff prospect on the farm.  

I'd like to see him get that OBP up over .340 this season.  Then I think he could be a player to get excited about.  

I'd bat Sisco leadoff.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

In the minors? I wouldn't.  Is he going to pick up some extra skill by batting leadoff in the minors?  I hope he starts learning to turn on the ball and become more of a run producer.  I think that mindset is better served lower in the order.

I meant in the majors.  

19 hours ago, ChuckS said:

He slashed .217/.282/.350/.632 in 132 PAs against lefties last year and .181/.272/.278/.549 against them in Aberdeen the year before so he's really a platoon guy despite switch hitting. His 37 BB to 101 K ratio in 559 PAs last year in Delmarva might not be a red flag, but it's an orange one. He has some defensive value and speed, so he's definitely a prospect, but more of the future 4th outfielder type than everyday guy. 

The scouts I've talked to about him are mixed on him. He's defiantly caught the eye of Buck, and for a 13th round pick, he's a great selection at that point of the draft. It will be interesting to see if they jump him to Bowie and if he does, how he handles the jump. Frederick's outfield is going to be crowded with Hays, Mullens, Gassaway needing to play along with the fact that former first round pick Josh Hart will be in the mix as well and possibly even Yermin Mercedes though he will probably go to first.

Maybe he should abandon hitting right handed?  He needs to improve the K/BB ratio for sure.  

I just think if he was a bigger guy and drafted higher he would be getting a lot more attention/respect as a prospect.  It seems like he's going to be able to carry a decent slugging percentage to the higher levels. Plenty of doubles and triples in addition to the home runs, so maybe we can sacrifice the BA/OBP a little bit for those other skills.  A (righty hitting) platoon center fielder still has plenty of value.  Maybe he is platooning there with Rickard in 2019.   

22 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Something to keep on eye on but I certainly wouldn't put the platoon label on him this early.

Well, let's put it this way, if he was putting up that slash line overall, we wouldn't be talking about him. I also heard his swing is not very good from the right side. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, let's put it this way, if he was putting up that slash line overall, we wouldn't be talking about him. I also heard his swing is not very good from the right side. 

He should abandon it then.  

You don't see too many switch hitters that throw left handed (which I assume is also his natural side at the plate). I can't think of any off-hand. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

He should abandon it then.  

You don't see too many switch hitters that throw left handed (which I assume is also his natural side at the plate). I can't think of any off-hand. 

Among others:

Lance Berkman

Melky Cabrera 

Nick Swisher

Justin Smoak

David Segui

Daniel Nava

JT Snow

Wes Parker

Archived