Buck losing games

Ori-Al

We're locked and loaded going into the Toronto series. Only cost us a 3 game losing streak to get our roster set up for the big weekend series.

Glad you know if Brach pitches we win. We still didn't score any,ore. If you don't think Brach's struggles now is from over use already and you want him in again.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brach should have pitched the 6th.

Dickerson had a terrible send with Trumbo.

Kim and Trumbo are DH's playing in a big OF.

And that folks is how a winnable game turns into a 6-2 loss.

Kim did almost everything right.. he could have taken a step or two in on the ball but that's not much to argue about. His throw was on the money. It was just two steps too late. It happens.

I think if the O's had the lead he goes to Brach. In that situation with the way the offense has been, you have to anticipate extra innings and you don't want to burn the whole bullpen heading into Toronto, so if it's borderline you stick with Despaigne. I get Buck's thinking, of course it was a bad outcome.

I think if the O's had the lead he goes to Brach. In that situation with the way the offense has been, you have to anticipate extra innings and you don't want to burn the whole bullpen heading into Toronto, so if it's borderline you stick with Despaigne. I get Buck's thinking, of course it was a bad outcome.

I agree, and I think most people know this team enough to know what Buck was thinking. I just think we're frustrated that we have a short bench, no backup CF, a 13 man pitching staff and couldn't match up with their LH's in the 6th to get to Brach, O'day, Britton.

Ubaldo gave us a decent outing, but he's killing our flexibility. I'm sure every team would love the luxury of having a 6th starter and only using him in certain match ups every 20 days.

If the 3B coach wasn't a windmill we might not be talking about this.

Not very often do we see 2 runners thrown out at the plate in the same inning. Davis and Trumbo are not exactly fleet footed.

If the 3B coach wasn't a windmill we might not be talking about this.

There are a lot of variables that determine whether to send a runner or not. Just because a guy gets thrown out doesn't necessarily make it a bad decision. A lot depends on who is coming up and the number of outs, ie, your confidence of scoring if you hold the runner. If your chance of scoring is 50/50 and there are two outs, that chance is better than your best hitter getting a hit.

It amazes me how many people would run the pen into the ground if they were managers Brach already has a big work load I want him in games in games we are winning not tie games or games vs the division.

It's a constant refrain, despite the fact that about every O's bullpen under Buck has been a huge positive. It's difficult as fans to step back and look long-term. You simply can't manage every game as if it's all that matters. The Orioles have fifty some games left, plus hopefully playoffs.

There are a lot of variables that determine whether to send a runner or not. Just because a guy gets thrown out doesn't necessarily make it a bad decision. A lot depends on who is coming up and the number of outs, ie, your confidence of scoring if you hold the runner. If your chance of scoring is 50/50 and there are two outs, that chance is better than your best hitter getting a hit.

I was yelling at the TV about both of the plays at the plate, while in the back of my head I was thinking about how the optimal send rate gets runners thrown out at the plate sometimes. Perfect third base coaches would have 10-15% of runners thrown out at the plate, otherwise they're being so conservative that the team will score fewer runs.

I was yelling at the TV about both of the plays at the plate, while in the back of my head I was thinking about how the optimal send rate gets runners thrown out at the plate sometimes. Perfect third base coaches would have 10-15% of runners thrown out at the plate, otherwise they're being so conservative that the team will score fewer runs.

Bill James has made the point that with 2 outs, it makes sense to send the runner home if you think he has better than a 30% chance to make it, since the chances are that the next guy up is only going to get a hit 30% of the time. That's a slight oversimplification, but basically makes sense if you think about it.

Not sure where you got the 10-15 number but that sounds about right for a total. With zero out it should be close to zero...

Buck is giving away games with his insistence on staying too long with pitchers. And today, in a game the team really needed, he doesn't bring in Brach in a tie game in the seventh inning, instead staying with Despaigne, who had already blown the lead and was being hit hard, and saw him proceed to keep being hit hard and give the Twins the lead.

I was wondering the same thing. I think Buck gets a little hard headed and wants to see how some of these guys do in pressure situations but this game was kind of important.

Especially since Despaigne was lights out Friday for 4 innings.

Archived