O's looking at Wade Miley (Acquired for Ariel Miranda)

ChipTait

If it makes you feel any better, the Orioles are getting at least $1 million from the Mariners because the deal has to be approved by the MLB office, according to Jerry Crasnick.

I'll feel better when the deadline passes and this is the only deal Dan makes.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would be nice if we hadn't bidded against ourselves in order to give Jiminez that fourth year. Between Miley, Jiminez and Gallardo, the amount of money we have sunk into the back of our rotation is just obscene.

Do we know that? I mean the results are horrible. But is that true or just national snark?

Is this adding payroll?

Dan saved more than this between Gonzo and Matusz.

Of course it is adding payroll at the deadline.

Yesterday it was x. Tomorrow it is x + the remainder of Miley (around 3ish, I guess).

Now if they can move Ubaldo...

I like this much better than the Upton scenario.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">miley deal is official. o's get their lefty.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="

">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The deal is straight Miranda for Miley with the Orioles getting some money to help offset the 9 million committed to him through next year. He can be controlled through 2018 if the option is exercised.

I know. I was addressing the fake Rosenthal tweet. I wouldn't be upset if Gunkel is a piece in another deal.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles have acquired LHP Wade Miley from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for LHP Ariel Miranda.</p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Official.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Thought about it, but it’s really hard to judge defense based on 33 games.  Overall I think it’s close to a wash.   What do you think?
    • When you haven’t seen him pitch for a while, you forget just how fun it is to watch Means when he’s on his game.  Nothing he throws makes you say wow, but so many guys are off balance and can’t barrel him up.   He was absolutely dealing last night.  
    • Not sure how you can be a closer in the major leagues if you are unable to pitch on back to back nights.  Was I thrilled to see Kimbrel pitch after using 16 pitches the night before? No. But I understood why. If Kimbrel says he's good to go, Hyde needs to know whether he really can pitch back to back night. It was clear almost from the very start that the answer was going to be no. In Hyde's defense, he had Cano warming up and had no issues removing Kimbrel with the tie run on 3rd and  ringing him in. Hyde could have easily fallen on his sword and allowed Kimbrel to potentially blow the game, but he did not. I actually think Hyde showed a different side last night. Has he ever pulled his closer while a save opportunity still was available? From what I've seen so far from Kimbrel is that either he has his command or he doesn't. I think that's what Hyde saw last night and realized they were going to lose the game if he left him out there. With Cano's ability to get ground balls AND miss bats, he was the perfect guy to come into the 9th of Kimbrel struggled. And I think that's another thing he did to go "against the book". The book said to use Cano in the 8th and Kimbrel in the 9th, but I think Hyde had questions on whether Kimbrel could be successful on back to back nights. Thankfully Perez did his job in the 8th leaving Cano as the backup or to pitch the 10th if they went to extras.  Personally, I like what Hyde did last night. He learned that he may have to coddle Kimbrel for awhile and that he very well may not be able to use him on back to back nights for close saves.  
    • It is early, and I love how this team competes as if they are building off of 2023. Health is the obvious wildcard every season — so if health prevails —this starting rotation really has a chance to be special if they keep up this pace. Bullpen performance may not be too far off of 2023, yet it still feels like the pen needs depth that may not be anywhere on the roster or on the farm currently.
    • OP may be trolling or just doing a dumb reverse jinx joke, but Kremer does have a 5.74 xERA on the season. He’s doing ok on K/BB, whiffs and chase so he’ll probably be ok, but he is giving up a lot of hard contact and tons of barrels. His xFIP is 3.92 and that’s still more predictive in this sample, but he can’t keep giving up hard contact like he’s pitching against the Orioles lineup every game. With Irvin pitching really well and Means lights out yesterday, I do think Kremer is more at risk of a numbers-game option to AAA if Grayson is able to come back soon and Kremer’s not straightened his contact quality numbers out. Povich is also lurking as a possibility to force a call up if he puts up another ~5 starts as dominant as his start to the season has been. Possibly they will consider going to a 6-man rotation for some period of time as well.
    • Nice analysis. Would love to see you add a paragraph for defense as well.    
  • Popular Contributors