O's looking at Wade Miley (Acquired for Ariel Miranda)

ChipTait

"his week in Orioles baseball began with the revelation that owner Peter Angelos has become personally involved in the club's attempt to sign free-agent slugger Chris Davis to a rich, long-term contract" http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-column-1125-20151124-column.html

Thanks for finding this, Gordo. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm curious what exactly "personally involved" means, though? People seem to be interpreting that as Angelos personally negotiating the deal, but that seems like a big extrapolation.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for finding this, Gordo. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm curious what exactly "personally involved" means, though? People seem to be interpreting that as Angelos personally negotiating the deal, but that seems like a big extrapolation.
I don't have time to do your research for you but there were numerous articles about PA being on the phone with Boras. I don't know how you missed it. Also articles citing that money for CD was not necessarily to be used elsewhere.

Seems like a low risk, low reward trade. Miley was a decent back-end starter prior to this season. The optimistic take is that he's been victimized by a high HR/FB this season. If that number comes down, then he's a respectable innings eater. If not, then he's not necessarily any better than Vance Worley, and the O's are on the hook for his salary next season.

I don't have time to do your research for you but there were numerous articles about PA being on the phone with Boras. I don't know how you missed it. Also articles citing that money for CD was not necessarily to be used elsewhere.

I don't think it was to increase the money or play fast and lose but a way to lower Orioles cost on the front end and still get Chris what he wanted.

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 31, 2016

ORIOLES ACQUIRE LHP WADE MILEY FROM THE SEATTLE MARINERS

IN EXCHANGE FOR LHP ARIEL MIRANDA

The Orioles announced tonight that they have acquired LHP WADE MILEY from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for LHP ARIEL MIRANDA.

Miley, 29, has gone 7-8 with a 4.98 ERA (62 ER/112.0 IP) over 19 starts with the Mariners this season. Over 157 career Major League games (153 starts), he has posted a 56-54 record with a 4.07 ERA (427 ER/944.1 IP) and 728 strikeouts. The left-hander spent the 2015 season with the Boston Red Sox, leading the club in wins (11), starts (32), innings pitched (193.2 IP), and Quality Starts (17). Originally selected by Arizona in the first round (No. 43 overall) of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, Miley established Diamondbacks rookie records for wins (16), starts (29), and innings pitched (194.2 IP) in 2012. A 2012 National League All-Star, Miley went 38-35 with a 3.79 ERA (269 ER/638.2 IP) over 106 games (102 starts) across four seasons with Arizona from 2011-14.

Miranda, 27, made one appearance for the Orioles this season, surrendering three earned runs on four hits over 2.0 innings, while striking out four in his Major League debut on July 3 at Seattle. He went 10-10 with a 3.80 ERA (72 ER/170.2 IP) and 158 strikeouts over 33 career minor league starts.

--orioles—

It's Joe Saunders all over again, with maybe a touch more upside.

He's perfectly cromulent.

Don't forget a year and a half ago the Red Sox traded Rubby de la Rosa and Allen Webster for him, and both those guys were considered more talented than Miranda is.

Joe Saunders was a good pickup for us. I hoped this was the kind of move Duquette would make.

Ho hum. Nothing to see here. not going to move the needle.

Ubaldo who has a 7 era still has been gettinf starts for us...yet Miley doesnt move the needle?

Im not a fan ofnMiley but hes an improvement and we gave basically nothing.

Archived