O's acquire Steve Pearce for Jonah Heim

McLovin

For everyone that's upset about losing Heim, I think Wieters is going to be here for the next few years with Joseph backing him up. I just don't see how we're going to be able to replace MW, and I don't think we'll have to.

I disagree. I honestly don't even know how many more years Matt has as a catcher. He's looked pretty brutal of late.

I firmly believe that the O's intend for Sisco to become their ultimate future at catcher. If he requires further work defensively, they'll start Joseph and find someone to fill in behind him in 2017.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree. I honestly don't even know how many more years Matt has as a catcher. He's looked pretty brutal of late.

I firmly believe that the O's intend for Sisco to become their ultimate future at catcher. If he requires further work defensively, they'll start Joseph and find someone to fill in behind him in 2017.

I think they will find someone to start and keep Joseph as the backup.

I don't see how you can go into 2017 with the plan of having Joseph starting 120 games.

I think they will find someone to start and keep Joseph as the backup.

I don't see how you can go into 2017 with the plan of having Joseph starting 120 games.

Joseph isn't the catcher, that he was, last season.

I sure how, there is a plan B for 2017 that doesn't have Sisco at the top of the list.

Not sure he will be ready yet

Pearce has 1 HR and 2 RBI over his last month

He is streaky and often injured

For all the talk of where Heim is on the depth chart, I keep hearing that he is the only guy

with the defensive chops to be guaranteed to be able to stay at C in the majors

I do not like the trade

Flirting with negative rep for that. Misleads people into thinking Pearce has really struggled for a month when in fact he has all of 30 at-bats. Bad post.

Joseph isn't the catcher, that he was, last season.

I sure how, there is a plan B for 2017 that doesn't have Sisco at the top of the list.

Not sure he will be ready yet

That's all well and good, but I severely doubt Matt Wieters will ever wear the orange and black again after 2016 wraps up. They were ready to cut bait with him this year, he just surprised everyone one by taking the QO...

That's all well and good, but I severely doubt Matt Wieters will ever wear the orange and black again after 2016 wraps up. They were ready to cut bait with him this year, he just surprised everyone one by taking the QO...

I agree, I don't look for it, like I didn't look for it, this season.

Some posters are pretty quick to annoint Sisco the new heir, and I think there is a gap between Matt leaving here and Sisco ready for the everyday starting job as the big C.

I agree, I don't look for it, like I didn't look for it, this season.

Some posters are pretty quick to annoint Sisco the new heir, and I think there is a gap between Matt leaving here and Sisco ready for the everyday starting job as the big C.

Fair. I just don't see them investing much in the position so long as they view Sisco as the heir apparent, even if they don't envision him getting here until 2018. Joseph is under control. Maybe they bring in a one-year guy. Nick Hundley is among the names that will be available next year, and we know the organization is fond of him.

Do you mean since he got hit in the foot by a pitch in New York? Is that his fault?

Fangraphs rates it as the fifth best buy of the deadline.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-best-buys-of-the-trade-deadline/

Even though several higher-profile sluggers were moved at the deadline, I think you could make a pretty decent argument that the Orioles landed the best hitter traded in July. I’ve been a Pearce fan for a while, labeling him one of my off-season bargains, and he lived up to the billing by mashing the ball in Tampa for the first half of the season. Pearce is 33 and will probably never shake the label of being a part-time player, but he can really hit, and doesn’t embarrass himself in the field like some other sluggers who fetched more impressive prospects in return.

That the Orioles were able to land a guy with this kind of offensive ability for a just catcher who looks like he’s going to top as a backup if he gets to the big leagues is fairly impressive. I’d take Pearce over Jay Bruce for the rest of the season, for instance, and Bruce cost the Mets a guy with some actual value. Pearce is worthy of an everyday job, but because he’s still seen as a part-time guy, the Orioles got him for bench player prices. To maximize the value from this trade, and their chances of reaching October, they should just put him in the lineup everyday, and celebrate landing a quality hitter at almost no cost.

Well, he's not as good of a hitter as Carlos Beltran, but oh well. He's still good, and should absolutely play over Reimold from here on out.

Yeah, for whatever reasons Beltran hasn't gotten the credit he deserves. Dude's a HOFer. Did it all on the field - power, defense, speed, 1500 runs and rbi's, 16 post-season homers, 142 career OF assist. And he's still got a 133 OPS+ this year. He ain't done.

Archived