O's acquire Steve Pearce for Jonah Heim

McLovin

Pearce has a very extreme platoon split this season...1.212 OPS vs LHP and .799 vs. RHP. It's only 53 ABs vs. LHP, but still.

Given the season he is having, I'm not sure he'll sit versus anyone, but Buck may use him off the bench to reduce effectiveness of matchup LOOGY vs. either Davis or Alvarez.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They won't DFA Ubaldo.

It'll most likely be Reimold DFA for Pearce and Ondrusek optioned for Miley.

Wilson could also go back down.

And I think they might go back to a 12 man pitching staff since we now have the ability to move Worley or Bundy back to the pen and added a starter who is likely to go deeper into games than the guys he is replacing.

So if they get rid of two pitchers:

-- Wilson & Ondrusek?

Or does Ubaldo finally bite the dust?

Well I think you have to go by the 2016 version of him, right? I mean the guy is back to hitting and although he certainly could regress, he's still better than Reimold and or Rickart. I don't think this is a game changing move, and it might not move the needle all that much, but the team is improved and that's all you can ask during the trading deadline trades.

He's got a 342 BABIP Tony, I'm not going by his 2016 numbers. I mean I'll include them in the total package but you have to expect him to regress. Just hopefully not to the extent Parra did last year.

But the 2016 Pearce, to date, falls within the spectrum of the 2014 and 2015 versions.

Unless you think he is having a better year than 2014?

He has a .908 OPS this year. What more can we want in a deadline trade? Even if he had an .808 OPS this it'd probably be worth it.

If Davis really forces the issue then perhaps Trumbo at first occasionally and Pearce in the OF.

Nope. You don't pay 17 million to someone to sit on the bench. Plus it affects his mindset for next year, the year after, etc. Plus his defense has been OUTSTANDING.

And I think they might go back to a 12 man pitching staff since we now have the ability to move Worley or Bundy back to the pen and added a starter who is likely to go deeper into games than the guys he is replacing.

-- Wilson & Ondrusek?

Reimold and Pearce on the roster is redundant.

Ubaldo will never bite the dust unless it's mid season next year. He'll be stashed in the bullpen only to be used in blowouts or until the last possible option in an extra innings game. When September comes around, he'll be further buried.

-- Wilson & Ondrusek?

I would rather see Tyler Wilson in the regular rotation at Norfolk for his development and keep Ondrusek, Worley or Bundy in the pen.

Nope. You don't pay 17 million to someone to sit on the bench. Plus it affects his mindset for next year, the year after, etc. Plus his defense has been OUTSTANDING.

Agreed, Davis isn't sitting. The only thing Pearce will do for Davis is maybe get the poor guy a day off from time to time, which he (and the team's other stars) haven't really had much opportunity for.

Provides a nice upgrade to a team that in spite of all the right handed bats, ranks just 26th in wOBA versus LHP as opposed to 3rd in wOBA versus RHP. Pearce has a .502 wOBA versus LHP this year among which is best in the MLB among batters with 50 PA or more against lefties (not to mention, pretty solid numbers versus righties too). Plus he's the proverbial "great clubhouse guy". Nice work, Duquette

We had 3 "needs"

LH SP

RH OF

LOOGY

We got the two most important and gave up a 27 year old lefty and a career .200 milb C. Not too shabby.

And due to Ondrusek typically being better vs LH, we at least improved in the LOOGY department a bit without actually getting a LOOGY.

Getting Miley also means at least 20% of the games we'll have less need for a LH reliever because we'll have started a lefty.

Pearce is a very streaky player, but I fully expect him to mash lefties when he is in the lineup.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Davis sit a couple times a week until he gets his stroke back. Like to see Pearce get three to four starts a week. Hopefully ignite our lineup some.

You pay someone $17 million a year to sit on the bench occasionally until they start hitting. Davis seems like the kind of guy that rises to the challenge eventually after struggling, but he also seems like the kind of guy that might need more of a breather every so often.

Archived