Bwahahaha!

Frobby

Pennington was OPACY era. I was at a game once against the Mariners (think it was 94 or s). O's were up 6-3 and he came in with the bases loaded. Threw a wild pitch and then gave up a home run to Griffey that hit the warehouse on a bounce. I don't think I've ever heard an Oriole booed so badly at home. If I wasn't so angry about how bad he was, I may have felt sorry for him. That guy threw upper 90's but no deception.

Pennington's primary issue was control that made Ubaldo look like Josh Towers. In A ball in 1990 Pennington pitched 106 innings, walking 121 and striking out 142. That's downright Dalkowskiish.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What baffles me is that his split/change and curve look good enough. The raw stuff is there. Consistency is lacking. Does Gausman just lack the focus and/or work ethic to perfect the pitches?

I don't attribute his lack of a consistent breaking pitch to a personality flaw. These things are not that easy to do, and the minors are littered with guys who try to master a breaking pitch and can't do it. Most of them don't have a 97-98 mph heater and a very good change-up to fall back on.

Gausman issue has been the same issue he's had since he was drafted. He has no consistently effective breaking pitch.

Tony wouldn't you think a coach could help him overcome that problem? So he

could be consistent with the breaking pitch? Just wondering Tony.

Comparing Bundy to Gausman is interesting. I think Gausman has better pure stuff. However his command is less consistent and it appears he doesn't know how to use his tools like Bundy does.

I agree the radar gun does not tell us everything. Darvish last night was blowing 92 by guys last night just like Bundy. Gausman at 96 doesn't get the same result. Release point? Sequencing? I don't know. His wind up looks deceiving but maybe it's not. He is tall but maybe his extension towards the plate isn't great.

I sure hope he can figure it out because the stuff is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have seen of Gausman his fastball seems to have better movement when he dials it back a bit to the 93-95 mph range. It seems to flatten or straighten out more when he hits 97 or more. Also it really matters little how hard he throws if his splitter isn't working or he loses command as major league hitters make him throw strikes and when he gets behind in the count he is prone to the long ball. Funny thing was after his last debacle in Toronto Rick Dempsey claimed he had the best stuff in the AL (seems a bit of an exaggeration to me) but can't pitch on the road well at all and fails way to often to hold a lead. He said he thinks his problem could be mental (something I had stated here before ) as he throws to many pitches in the middle of the plate and hittable. He said he needs to learn to pitch inside and on both corners and only elevate out of the strike zone (which is evident) but doesn't understand why he keeps repeating his same mistakes still,

Nolan was pretty dang good, and he has more no-hitters than anybody that has played the game.

He was very good. He just seems to be the guy everyone used to refer to when talking about a great pitcher. There have been many, many better pitchers in my lifetime.

He was very good. He just seems to be the guy everyone used to refer to when talking about a great pitcher. There have been many, many better pitchers in my lifetime.

Agreed. Nolan was certainly one of a kind, and accomplished some feats that nobody is likely ever to match, but I doubt he'd be in my top 10 pitchers who I've seen pitch.

Yeah Nolan Ryan's BB/9 rate was too high. He finished his career with 4.7 BB/9 and that was after he brought the rate down later in his career. Guy had unhittable stuff, if only he had better command. Still a legit HOF but yeah, not in the top 10 pitchers of all time.

Archived