Passing Players Through Waivers - August Trades

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know why teams arent able to trade guys like Ubaldo more often, example:

Ubaldo is owed 13M this year and 13.5M next year. Which means if we DFA him we eat 26.5M and then another team gets him for the min for this year.

Why couldn't we trade him to a team and save a small amount (I.E. Orioles eat 23M). This saves us 3.5M which if obvioulsy better than a DFA.

For the team that trades for him, they have the benefit of having Ubaldo for about 1M this year and 2.5M next year. This allows them to keep him next year if he shows improvements. thoughts?

Jose Reyes and Olivera may be poor examples due to domestic violence issues, but maybe a guy like Trevor Cahill last year...

Ubaldo isn't worth 3.5 million. The team had to give draft picks away to trade the small contracts of Webb and Matusz. We DFAed Gonzalez to save what 4 million dollars? If someone was willing to pay Gonzalez 4 million dollars we could have worked out a deal.

If we DFA Ubaldo someone might be willing to give him a minor league deal.

Thanks. I'm thinking teams might wait longer than usual this year to do this with so many teams still "in" the race. Too much of a risk of a claim happening.

Actually that doesn't matter. Even if someone claims our guys, we can pull them back off waivers and visa versa--if we claim a player his team can pull him back off waivers.

Actually that doesn't matter. Even if someone claims our guys, we can pull them back off waivers and visa versa--if we claim a player his team can pull him back off waivers.

Once they are pulled back they can no longer be traded this year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Marlins Acquire Hunter Cervenka <a href="https://t.co/k1xGX9tzwu">https://t.co/k1xGX9tzwu</a> <a href="https://t.co/SL7Yw1zoTa">pic.twitter.com/SL7Yw1zoTa</a></p>— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) <a href="

">August 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If a team were to claim Chris Davis, would you let him go? He has been bad offensively but has provided power and generally good defense. His contract is an abomination though.

Would you let him go?

Would Dan Duquette?

Would Buck?

Would Peter Angelos allow it?

If a team were to claim Chris Davis, would you let him go? He has been bad offensively but has provided power and generally good defense. His contract is an abomination though.

Would you let him go?

Would Dan Duquette?

Would Buck?

It will never happen, because of PA and we are in a pennant race. It's a bad time of year for it to happen, but I just might consider it, if I had full power

Would you let him go?

Would Dan Duquette?

Would Buck?

If it means keeping Manny vs not keeping him, well, he gone!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Marlins Acquire Hunter Cervenka <a href="https://t.co/k1xGX9tzwu">https://t.co/k1xGX9tzwu</a> <a href="https://t.co/SL7Yw1zoTa">pic.twitter.com/SL7Yw1zoTa</a></p>— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) <a href="
">August 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

An example of a guy we would claim. But since he was in the NL he only had to pass through a handful of teams instead of 30ish teams to get to us.

Zero chance anyone claims Ubaldo.
All the more reason to pass him through.
Of course you put Ubaldo through waivers. And then you hope, beyond hope, that somebody claims him. Because at that point you just got 100% out from under his contract. But don't hold your breathe, nobody would claim him.
Nobody is going to claim him and take over that contract.

Wait for him to be DFA, and sign him to a vet minimum deal.

I dont know why teams arent able to trade guys like Ubaldo more often, example: Ubaldo is owed 13M this year and 13.5M next year. Which means if we DFA him we eat 26.5M and then another team gets him for the min for this year. Why couldn't we trade him to a team and save a small amount (I.E. Orioles eat 23M). This saves us 3.5M which if obvioulsy better than a DFA...

Might be wrong but I believe that the waiver claim would be fully revocable, just like the waiver. So, a claim would not necessarily mean another club is willing to take on his entire remaining contract without any relief from us.

Bear in mind, not that this would be the case with Jimmy, sometimes teams make August waiver claims just to block other teams from getting someone. Oh, and SIAP but "DFA" =/= outright release. A player who has been designated can be traded.

Archived