Could Britton pull out a Cy Young if he finishes with 50+/<.50?

tinamodotti

Does Britton have a realistic shot at the CYA?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Does Britton have a realistic shot at the CYA?

• Yes, he could really win if he finishes the season strong
    • He'll finish Top 10, but no way he is close to winning
    • Absolutely not, only starters should win the award

This poll is closed to new votes

Last 5 American League Cy Young winners

2015: Dallas Keuchel - 2.48 ERA, 20-8

2014: Corey Kluber - 2.44 ERA, 18-9

2013: Max Scherzer - 2.90 ERA, 21-3

2012: David Price - 2.56 ERA, 20-5

2011: Justin Verlander - 2.40 ERA, 24-5

Aside from Scherzer who was teetering on a near 3 ERA...everyone else was right around 2.50 or below.

The last truly dominating year ERA wise/saves was 2012. And that was Fernando Rodney. He had a 0.60 ERA, 48 SV and a heavenly 0.777 WHIP...but blew 2 saves. His teammate (David Price) won it that year. Rodney finished 5th.

Compare and contrast to 2016. Rick Porcello and Corey Kluber have very, very similar numbers (right around 3.15 ERA). Porcello has the sexy wins (22 vs. Kluber's 18).

It's going to be close. Britton is 47-47, 0.55 ERA (which is historic) and a 0.827 WHIP.

In a way, this is very similar to 2012 in which there was a dominating performance by Rodney...but Price had over a half run better ERA than the pitchers vying for the Cy Young this year.

My gut is Rick Porcello will win it because: 22-4 and a WHIP under 1...and he's a starter.

I'd vote for Britton (bias aside) because it's a historic season...whereas Porcello's wasn't.

You have to go back to 2007 for the last time an American League Cy Young award winner won with an ERA above 3.

So...he has a very good chance.

I think if he doesn't implode in the postseason, then I think Britton wins it.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They vote after everything is said and done, but I always felt that the postseason could rocket some guy's chances more than others

I thought they voted after the regluar season and before the post season starts but the results aren't revealed until after the post season ends. Then again, my memory is not close to what it used to be so I could easily be wrong.

I thought they voted after the regluar season and before the post season starts but the results aren't revealed until after the post season ends. Then again' date=' my memory is not close to what it used to be so I could easily be wrong.[/quote']

You are correct, sir.

KLaw compares Britton winning CY to Ortiz winning MVP:

Jonny B: What would be more upsetting: Britton winning the AL Cy Young, or someone other than Trout winning AL MVP? For some reason, the idea of any closer winning the Cy Young seems objectively indefensible.

Klaw: Upsetting is putting it strongly; the writers as a whole are bad at this stuff and will always be, perhaps increasingly so as the gap between what teams know and what we know increases. If Trout loses, it?ll be to Betts, who?s #2. If Britton loses, it would be like David Ortiz winning MVP this year ? a narrative defeating facts.

And a bit more on Smoak, Wieters projections and Britton as a starter:

Klaw: Smoak is the one who?ll always bother me, because I never saw him do anything but hit, and pro scouts I talked to just raved about him up until he was traded to Seattle at the least. I thought Wieters would be a much better hitter too, while I?m at it. Lot of pitchers I liked were derailed by injuries ? I had Zach Britton as a potential #2 starter.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2016/09/29/klawchat-92916/

I don't like hearing (Harold Reynolds and others) about a precedent that the CY should go to a starter....last three AL relief pitchers to win were Eckersley (1992), Hernandez (1984) and Rollie Fingers (1981).....too lazy to look up, but I assume they were dominant.....Zach's 47 for 47 and sub .5 ERA....dominant!

Archived