Could Britton pull out a Cy Young if he finishes with 50+/<.50?

tinamodotti

Does Britton have a realistic shot at the CYA?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Does Britton have a realistic shot at the CYA?

• Yes, he could really win if he finishes the season strong
    • He'll finish Top 10, but no way he is close to winning
    • Absolutely not, only starters should win the award

This poll is closed to new votes

There is precedent for closers getting the award and his numbers are getting very hard to ignore.

If he finished with 50 saves and an ERA lower than .50, I could see some voters going with him.

And yes I do realize the flaws with the Save stat and ERA stat, but they still make headlines.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll probably end in the top 10, finish strong the rest of the way and he might even get top 5, especially if the Orioles make the playoffs. But, aside from the really dominant, historic seasons, it's hard for a closer to win the award. The one thing going in his favor is there aren't a lot of other worldly pitching seasons going on this year in the AL so it's kind of up for grabs. Earlier it was Chris Sale all the way, then the recent stuff overshadowed him. Then it was Danny Salazar, but there's several other guys ahead of him statistically. If I had to guess right now it's between one of Hamels, Quintana, and Sale. I think the last two months will determine who wins the award in the AL, and Britton can do himself well. But, I still find it hard to believe he'd win.

Not a bad thought. He is the top closer when the field for starting pitchers is relatively weak in the AL. Possible, yes. Not sure if I would bet on it happening.

Isn't Salazar on the DL with "elbow soreness"? Estrada should also be in the conversation. His numbers are pretty close to Hamels. Some people think Tillman too.

o

Chris Davis had a dominant season in 2012, and he came in 3rd overall for the M..V.P. award.

I suspect that a similar fate awaits Zach Britton for the 2016 Cy Young Award voting ...... either 2nd overall for the Silver, or 3rd overall for the Bronze.

I forgot where I heard this, but I heard this the other day. Bill James and someone else came up with a model that predicts the cy young winner. Over the the course of its use they have a 70 percent success rate. Right now, Zac Britton is who is projected to win. Now I know there is spotty info in my post but maybe someone who knows more about it can add to this.

He definitely could. No AL starter is going to end up with dominant numbers. If Britton finishes perfect on Save Opportunities, leads the AL in Saves, has an ERA under 1.00, and the O's make the playoffs - he could definitely win. I don't see any way I could ever vote for a closer even under those conditions - but there will be those who will. Wade Davis was 8th and then 6th the past two seasons in the voting and was primarily a set up man both years. 17 saves last year and finished 6th. If Zach is 45 for 45 or something on save Ops with a sub 1.00 ERA - I wouldn't bet against him.

Not a bad thought. He is the top closer when the field for starting pitchers is relatively weak in the AL. Possible, yes. Not sure if I would bet on it happening.

Isn't Salazar on the DL with "elbow soreness"? Estrada should also be in the conversation. His numbers are pretty close to Hamels. Some people think Tillman too.

There is precedent for closers getting the award and his numbers are getting very hard to ignore.

If he finished with 50 saves and an ERA lower than .50, I could see some voters going with him.

And yes I do realize the flaws with the Save stat and ERA stat, but they still make headlines.

I would not think so. No not at all.

Salazar is definitely injured.

Archived