vs. GIANTS, 8/13

OFFNY

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think what @Just Regularsaid in the other thread, there's more Cobb than Ruth to his game is accurate.  Kind of ignores that Cobb slugged at a .512 clip for his career which is always a surprising number to me, but the point stands.  I don't think Adley's going to become that big thumper we've been dreaming on.  I think he'll max out at around 25 a year which is certainly good but he's also going to have 15-18 homer seasons, too. He'll hit for a consistently good average though.
    • My guess is that Sig has had this stuff for years.   I think it will be interesting to track players’ career arc on this stuff.   You figure that players’ bats get slower as they age.  But do they compensate with shorter swings?  How does square up percentage change with age?   Now Fangraphs has something to do.  
    • One of the interesting points from that article is that, similar to pitcher injuries in the chase for more velocity, they expect an uptick in batter injuries (obliques, ribs) as they throw caution to the wind to try and max out bat speed.  Meanwhile, two-time batting champ Luis Arraez is at the bottom of the bat speed leaderboard, at 62.4.
    • I do believe it's also a matter of time before his toe starts giving him issues or he pulls/strains something else while roaming the outfield. I like Aaron Judge so I'm not rooting for him to get injured.  It just sucks that he plays for the Yankees but he's a fantastic player and seems like a good dude.  It's overall a net positive for the game of baseball to have someone like that. He's still certainly dangerous but it wouldn't surprise me if after two seasons of over 1.000 OPS that he's reached his peak and he's entering a decline.  I don't think he'll ever be as bad as Stanton but I do think he's entering a stage of his career where he might be more injury prone. Of course this is now a reverse lock.  
    • Westburg is at 70.8. Like Adley though, he squares up a ton of balls. 
    • This is a rabbit hole one might dive into and never emerge from.   Fast swing?  Short swing?  Squared-up percentage?  The variations and trade offs are endless.  
  • Popular Contributors