vs. ASTROS, 8/18

Sessh

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I know for a fact he wanted to stay...12-13 million would have been a good 1. year protection plan..He was really respected and loved by his teammates...
    • Handley has been on IL since 6/8/24.  As of this morning, no idea if he will be returning to action after 1 week or if it is going to be time.  Only time will tell...  But the O's decided to give Banuelos a break from the taxi squad yesterday.  Am I reading into something?  Sure, but isn't that what we do here? However...  this week off of Handley vs. Hunt has given my son and I some more time to look at Hunt's 2024 history.  (I still think this is a SSS (small sample size) but since some on this board rejoice over 1 week of good performance  I'm going the other direction... bad performance.) As a precursor, I'm starting to think the O's fans need to brace for "something is better than nothing" when it comes to Hunt.  But what exactly is the "something" as it comes to Hunt for Baumann/Perez trade.  I believe it is also looking that we got "April Fooled" even acknowledging the SSS. Hunt's April stats with Tacoma (SEA): 12 games, 42 PA, 37 AB, 14 H, 2-2B, 1-3B, 2-HR, 2 HBP, 3 BB and only 4 K.   .378/.452/.649 for a 1.101 OPS   These stats would have OH screaming for Hunt over McCann.  This seems to have been the opinion when the trade first happened with Mariner fans as they were wanting hunt moved up to SEA. Since then...  well...  April shower's bring May flowers and maybe we got a carnation. 11 more games with Tacoma before the trade.  38 PA, 33 AB, 7H, 2-2B, 2 HR, 2 HBP, 2 BB, 4K.     .212/.308/.455 for a 0.763 now... the O's would have seen this as well... but the average over his 24 games before coming to the Tide wasn't bad.  .293/.372/.533 with .905 OPS.  This was still attention getting for sure.  But would the O's and OH posters have liked this trade based on just his May numbers? So... let's break down the 24 games with Tacoma vs. 12 games with Norfolk using some of Fangraphs stats/metrics: The 'highlight' and literally this is the ONLY highlight I can find.  (There is a 'candle' light as well) HIGHLIGHT:  In 12 games with Tides, Hunt has 3 HR (1:16 PA).  He only had 4 with Tacoma in 24 games (1:19 PA) CANDLELIGHT:  3 of 15 runners caught (20% for Norfolk) vs. 2 of 18 runners caught (11.1% for Tacoma).  But hey, this is an 80% increase! Here are some of the shadow numbers that 'fans' really don't want to look at because it flies into the face of 'HOPE'  Hunt's AAA wRC+ while with SEA in 2024 was 121.  Hunt's AAAA wRC+ while with BAL is.... 46.    Ooooffff. Hunt's BB & K rate while with SEA were 7.0% and 11.6%.  Hunt's BB/K rate with BAL are 0.0% and 36.7%.  Based on his walk rate... reminds me of a MLB O'S catcher.    Is the IL pitching that much better than the PCL?  Is Hunt trying to hard because of the H vs. H competition?  Hunt's SwStr% has gone from 7.7% to 16.1% between teams. Maybe this is a look into what other GM's saw and why Hunt is on/in his 4th MLB organization and still in MiLB. Last little nugget... like my dog kicking the grass after a piss... Since going to Tacoma from the Trade, Michael Perez has done almost the opposite!  His SwStr% has gone from 11.8% to 6.9%.  wRC+ had gone from 58 to 96.  His walk rate has tripled (5.7 to 17.9). His K rate has nearly halved (31 to 17.9). So... we aren't half way thru the AAA season and there is more time to compare our catchers coming up.  When and how Handley comes back from his IL stint is going to be interesting.
    • If Bradish is out for TJ, then I'd trade anyone for the right SP with 2+ years of control. We're going to need to replace Bradish for the rest of this year and some of next. Chances are pretty high that Burnes hits FA. So, we need 2 TOR SP next year. I think a proven SP helps us more than waiting to see what type of MLBer any of the prospects will be.
    • I don’t think so. Gibson is valuable and a great innings eater. But our pitching staff is in very solid shape to get through the regular season, no matter what happens with Bradish. The question is whether they have enough elite arms to maximize their chances in the postseason, which Gibson wouldn’t really help with. 
    • It also means the SP3 role is a casting call. I believe Dean Kremer and Cole Irvin can do things like Cody Bradford and Andrew Heaney did but process wise it isn't what you draw up.
    • Nothing scientific.  I just looked at the names and saw that more ML players or current top prospects came from those demographics.  By demographics, I mean 4, HS pitchers. HS position players, C position players, C pitchers.  That’s why I said, feel free to correct me.  You can go on BRef and scroll through each draft pretty easily.   I’m not about to get too detailed about it unless you disagree.  Then, I might.   
    • Here it is. This is from 2021, but he was brought up again in early April when many pitchers started going down for TJ surgery.    
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now