Ubaldo, Wade, and Yovani -- Who gets dumped after 2016?

FanSince88

Who to dump in the offseason?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who to dump in the offseason?

• Yovani
    • Ubaldo
    • Wade
    • Yovani and Wade
    • Yovani and Ubaldo
    • Wade and Ubaldo
    • All three
    • None

As GM can we hear your argument to PA as to why he should eat 13M?

Simple. It's what's best for the team. Should be pretty obvious if he's been watching the past 3 years.

At this point spending $13M for a roster spot is better for the team then paying $13M to have Ubaldo in the spot.

Safe to say that we won't see any return of value for any of the three. I'd be totally fine with taking all three of them into spring training, seeing if the offseason led to any improvements, and if not, then dumping them at that point.

It's not like releasing them in October/November is much different than dumping them in mid-March, and at least you get the chance to see if you can salvage any value for them in 2017.

The only other option I'd consider is a classic change-of-scenery type trade in the offseason. If the player we get back doesn't show anything in spring training, then dump them, too.

Rose on Intentional Talk speculated he would be a trade target last season for Orioles. I expect that drum to beat louder this offseason. The

Brewers have a new sheriff in town and is cleaning house it would appear.

Is there any reason to believe Rose has better knowledge of the Orioles than anyone on this board?

I think Ubaldo was not on the playoff roster in 2014. I foresee the same if there's a playoff run for the O's this year. No need for a mop up guy in postseason.

Ubaldo actually did make the ALDS roster in 2014, but he didn't pitch. Then he was left off the ALCS roster with Matusz taking his place.

If I'm the GM, Ubaldo is gone from this group, and he probably would've been gone awhile ago.

If you're asking me to predict the future...........honestly I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them report to Spring Training with us in 2017.

The GM had him traded, he was not permitted to.

In my opinion, we cannot afford to have all three of Ubaldo, Wade, and Yovani on our team taking up roster spots next season. At least one of them has to go. We will have Tillman, Gausman, and Bundy penned into the starting rotation...if we need placeholders we can keep any two of those guys. But having all three is a waste of valuable roster space. Who do we dump in exchange for a bag of balls in the offseason?

I imagine you want all three gone.

If you dropped all three, we'd be screwed. The money is spent, we don't have a lot of options in the minors, and the FA pickings are very slim this year. I predict both Miley and Gallardo will be in the rotation next year. If one of them gets injured or falters, then Jimenez gets into the rotation. It makes no sense to drop these guys unless we have better options. (And I don't consider Wright or Wilson better options...and anyway we still need them for depth. You need a lot more than five starting pitching options at the start of the season, to prepare for potential injuries, poor performance, spot starts, etc.)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Who really cares what the payroll is?  And if you do,  why?  If we hadn't been swept out of the playoffs would we even be arguing this?  In the end the amount the Os pay isn't the issue or problem.  It's how the team performs on the field.  Sure we all know that payroll and wins have a fairly strong correlation to each other,  but it isn't exact or perfect at all.   Should we increase payroll?  Sure,  provided you makes the team better.  But increasing the payroll while not improving the team by doing so seems goofy.   Sign a #1 or #2, absolutely.   Move on from the platoon at 1st with a guy who can take up one roster spot and hit both rhp and lhp,  like Walker?  Sign me up.  Sign an impact OF and split at bats between Mullins, Cowser, Kjerstad and him?  Sounds good to me.   Replace Mountcastle with just a more expensive version of the same?  What's the point?  Sign an expensive pitcher to replace Povich with the same results?  Why,  other then a depth move?  I'm all for signing free agents and spending money,  just do it wisely and don't do it just to say we signed someone.   Actually improve the team or stand pat.  Making moves just to make moves is how you end up with Rogers types. Payroll matters, yeah.   But winning matters more.   If we can win with a 100M payroll, fine.   If it needs to be 200M to win,  that's fine with me too.  Just win games,  and let the window we have stay open as long as possible... and most importantly win the WS for the first time since 1983.  
    • If service time comes into play he would not be Arb eligible until 2026. No reason to  tender, just pick him up at Min wage.
    • Smith and Bowman signed Milb contacts, stop period. which means if they not have 6 years MLB service they make minor league money if they are in the minors. Albert signed a one guarenteed contract, 740k. Itwas A Milb contract to keep him off the 40. Even if he got DFA or never pitched one inning of MLB he still makes the 740k. He was good enough to demand this contract and get it. Smith and Bowman were not.
    • Just because you sign as a free agent doesn’t mean you aren’t subject to the rules around 6 years of service time. For instance, I don’t believe Burch Smith or Matt Bowman can elect free agency unless they are outrighted, released, or non-tendered. However, there are examples of foreign professionals being eligible to elect free agency early - for example Shintaro Fujinama last year.  It’s not part of the CBA, but presumably the commissioner will approve that special covenant as part of an FA deal if the player has at least 6 years of experience in foreign league.  It’s possible they would let Suarez combine his 1 year MLB service time (prior to this season) with his 3 years in NPB and 2 years in KBO.  And it’s possible they let Suarez write these terms into an MILB contract that had split MLB terms.  It wouldn’t have been my starting assumption, but it seems plausible.
    • Here I am checking in. We and our condo on the east side of Asheville made it through unscathed. On Tuesday we flew into DC and moved into a hotel in Falls Church. Our son, Eric, ordered us to make that trip and made all the arrangements because we had no internet and limited cell service. We expected to stay a week while electricity is restored and then we learned about the dire water situation. We are moving in with Eric and his family who have been supporting us in every way possible, anticipating needs and things that would help us. Our daughter, Robyn, and her husband, Ken live about 30 miles west of Asheville , Waynesville, had no damage, never lost power or water. Today they rescued my car from $30 a day hourly parking, threw out everything that was beginning to make the condo stink and tied up  a few ends we left loose when we left Dodge in a hurry. They are, collectively, the loving, supportive family everyone should want and have .
    • You should really try to read. It will make you less slow.
    • Just pointing out that not everyone wanted Adley extended last year. 
  • Popular Contributors