Will the fans show?

Todd-O

It does seem like a strange choice to drive people toward buying tickets online through the resale market rather than directly from the team. The team would make more money if they were purchased directly.

Well hasn't the team already made money if someone bought the tickets and is re-selling them?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to connect the decline to Angelos doesn't make sense. Attendance is down versus when this team started contending again. Angelos has done nothing but tried to win since we first started to contend again.

I am afraid that there will be big payroll cuts in the coming year. Truthfully, Angelos would be well within his right to do so. He spent a ton this offseason, the team has been in first most of the year, and people aren't showing up at the ballpark.

Trying to connect the decline to Angelos doesn't make sense. Attendance is down versus when this team started contending again. Angelos has done nothing but tried to win since we first started to contend again.

I am afraid that there will be big payroll cuts in the coming year. Truthfully, Angelos would be well within his right to do so. He spent a ton this offseason, the team has been in first most of the year, and people aren't showing up at the ballpark.

I don't disagree, here. The team has been firmly in the hunt five years running. I fully recognize that there are legitimate reasons people can't/don't want to go, but if anyone's claiming they don't go to games because the team isn't up to snuff, they're either idiots or making up excuses.

Well hasn't the team already made money if someone bought the tickets and is re-selling them?

You'd think but when I get the "Game Information: Thanks for buying Orioles tickets for tomorrow's game" email directly from the Orioles after making a purchase on stub hub...I'm not too sure.

It appears as if the Orioles are just offloading cheaper tix via third party. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Tickets being resold isn't a new trend, though. For years people would just sell them in front of the stadium.

I didn't say it was. My point was simply that the Orioles make more money when people buy unsold tickets from them than when someone buys already sold tickets on the resale market. There's really nothing to debate here. That has to be true.

You'd think but when I get the "Game Information: Thanks for buying Orioles tickets for tomorrow's game" email directly from the Orioles after making a purchase on stub hub...I'm not too sure.

It appears as if the Orioles are just offloading cheaper tix via third party. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

I don't think that's what is happening. Because of the agreement with MLB, the Orioles know the seats have been resold to you. They can send you an email thanking you for the purchase even if they weren't the seller.

I don't know that there will be big payroll cuts in the coming year. After all, I suspect that ticket revenue may actually be up or flat year-over-year despite the decline in attendance.

I don't know that there will be big payroll cuts in the coming year. After all, I suspect that ticket revenue may actually be up or flat year-over-year despite the decline in attendance.

As an example.

2.4M tickets sold at $25=$60M

2.1M tickets sold at $30=$63M

As an example.

2.4M tickets sold at $25=$60M

2.1M tickets sold at $30=$63M

Basically. As I recall, the average price went up 20%, so as long as the decline in attendance is less than 20% it shouldn't cost them money. (This is in general. Obviously, if everyone moved down one ticket level to stay at the same price point so that even though the average ticket price went up 20% but the average sale price stayed constant, any decline in sales would be lost revenue. Without access to Orioles financials, we can't know for sure.)

Some people in this thread is just oozing BS. Just went to Stub Hub and you can get into tonight's game for as low as $7.00. Get this, you can get a lower level seat for just over $13.00.

Either Baltimore has totally lost interest in the O's or Baltimore is a city of cheap asses. Wish I lived in the area. For that price, I wouldn't miss a game.

Which is why I use stub hub to look for tickets and have been very successful in finding good seats for good values.

Amazing deals as usual. Got a seat last year for $10 right behind home plate against Detroit. Have used stubhub about another 8 times this year. Enter through the gates directly with the app, no print out needed. Amazing deals for tonight's game.

They should do a drastic across the board reduction in the price of value game seats. All Monday-Wednesday games in April and late August to September should be value priced unless the team is playing the Sox, Yanks, or Nats. Those should be the classic tier or tier 3 of 5. This way they can sell tickets to value games in the season plans and not feel bad about having discounted single game tickets on sale.

Seems like a lot of promotions have been on games which would sell fairly well anyway (i.e. Saturday's and Sunday's), I'd say keep a few on the weekend but have more on the weekdays.

They used to run more mini packs, offer those again for significant savings.

Do away with ticketmaster and their absurd fees to increase single game sales. People don't want to wait until day of to buy, it's better to secure a sale in advance so the team strikes while the iron is hot when the fan had the inkling to attend the game.

Don't raise ticket prices again for a while, let the improved payroll/product have an effect on the fans first before raising prices.

Make a second student night on a Mon-Weds throughout the season. Not sure if they even still do it on Fri.

Come up with new and fresh ways to make the fan experience more fun. I feel a lot of the things done have grown tired (hotdog race, crab shuffle, kiss cam etc.) keep some of those but add fun things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing deals as usual. Got a seat last year for $10 right behind home plate against Detroit. Have used stubhub about another 8 times this year. Enter through the gates directly with the app' date=' no print out needed. Amazing deals for tonight's game.[/quote']

You can usually get really good deals for mid-week series against certain teams.

What I have noticed this year is that it is surprisingly harder to find weekend game deals on stubhub this year than last. I used to always wait until the last minute to buy weekend game tickets on there but this year prices have still been pretty high for most weekend games.

Basically. As I recall, the average price went up 20%, so as long as the decline in attendance is less than 20% it shouldn't cost them money. (This is in general. Obviously, if everyone moved down one ticket level to stay at the same price point so that even though the average ticket price went up 20% but the average sale price stayed constant, any decline in sales would be lost revenue. Without access to Orioles financials, we can't know for sure.)

This is assuming that their operating costs remain stagnant from year to year. Not likely in Baltimore City.

Archived