Will the fans show?

Todd-O

I completely agree with your point that the O's hurt themselves by having a lousy team for 14 years. But that was five years ago, and I don't think that relates to the attendance drop the last two years.

I think the attendance is taking a drop because a lot of people/business are moving out of the city... you can blame that on a lot things (property taxes, crime rates, riots, etc.). The Orioles are seeing the impact of a city that is quickly going downhill.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I completely agree with your point that the O's hurt themselves by having a lousy team for 14 years. But that was five years ago, and I don't think that relates to the attendance drop the last two years.

Not at all. The state of the city itself and the ability for locals to afford tickets are probably more likely.

The Orioles also did this from 2015 to 2016. They had 8 select games in 2015 and 23 in 2016. They took them mostly out of the classic pricing. So with the 20% average increase ,you also are paying more for individual games now that they have more select games.

2015 SELECT GROUP DATES APRIL 11, MAY 16, 30, JUNE 28, JULY 31, AUGUST 2, 15, 22

2016 SELECT GROUP DATES: APRIL 9, 10, 30, MAY 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 14, 31, JUNE 1, 2, JULY 10, 22, AUGUST 16, 17, 22, 23, SEPTEMBER 19, 20, 21, 22, 25

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ticketing/group_seating.jsp

http://mlb.mlb.com/bal/downloads/y2015/group_seating_pricing.pdf

The Orioles also did this from 2015 to 2016. They had 8 select games in 2015 and 23 in 2016. They took them mostly out of the classic pricing. So with the 20% average increase ,you also are paying more for individual games now that they have more select games.

2015 SELECT GROUP DATES APRIL 11, MAY 16, 30, JUNE 28, JULY 31, AUGUST 2, 15, 22

2016 SELECT GROUP DATES: APRIL 9, 10, 30, MAY 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 14, 31, JUNE 1, 2, JULY 10, 22, AUGUST 16, 17, 22, 23, SEPTEMBER 19, 20, 21, 22, 25

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ticketing/group_seating.jsp

http://mlb.mlb.com/bal/downloads/y2015/group_seating_pricing.pdf

So all the fans here except for me lied then. They said sign Crush and have 150 million dollar payroll and they would come. regardless of price hikes. That was a discussion for 75 pages.

So all the fans here except for me lied then. They said sign Crush and have 150 million dollar payroll and they would come. regardless of price hikes. That was a discussion for 75 pages.

No. I thought they would come as well. Crush was a fan favorite and i thought not signing him would keep more people away. I guess I was wrong or lied as well.

Which you can bet Peter Angelos has thought about, and will think about again when considering whether or not to crack open his checkbook next time for, say, a Manny Machado. Can't say I really blame him. That's why I'm worried about attendance and why I think your average fan should be, as well.

We've never seen ownership spend (wisely or not, the point is largely moot for this discussion) like this before - they are not getting the results they expected (again, whether those expectations were fair is not really important, it's their perception) in response.

No. I thought they would come as well. Crush was a fan favorite and i thought not signing him would keep more people away. I guess I was wrong or lied as well.

I was never a big Chris Davis fan. Whether I come to games or not is not based on the players they have on the roster. I mean if it is 2002 again and Tony Bautista was our best player I would have issue but current team minus Chris Davis would be fine by me. Especially if it isn't someone who strikes out all the time who replaces him.

It seems to me that if you're looking to increase ticket revenue, it would have been wise to focus on increasing prices at the higher price points. Fans purchasing season tickets behind home plate are much less likely to be price sensitive than the guy deciding whether to take the kids to a game on Tuesday night looking at seats in left field.

No, you did not lie. You still go to as many games as you did before. .Even with the price hike. Everyone else stopped.

Which you can bet Peter Angelos has thought about, and will think about again when considering whether or not to crack open his checkbook next time for, say, a Manny Machado. Can't say I really blame him. That's why I'm worried about attendance and why I think your average fan should be, as well.

We've never seen ownership spend (wisely or not, the point is largely moot for this discussion) like this before - they are not getting the results they expected (again, whether those expectations were fair is not really important, it's their perception) in response.

Oh. I think you now know the answer. He and his heirs are not selling the team despite the fans best efforts. And the budget will stay right where it is is or shrink.

No, you did not lie. You still go to as many games as you did before. .Even with the price hike. Everyone else stopped.

Not everyone else. I still don't see why they couldn't offer walk-up tickets for remaining games at $5 for upper reserve and $20 for lower bowl. Heck, limit it to people wearing orange.

It seems to me that if you're looking to increase ticket revenue, it would have been wise to focus on increasing prices at the higher price points. Fans purchasing season tickets behind home plate are much less likely to be price sensitive than the guy deciding whether to take the kids to a game on Tuesday night looking at seats in left field.

Then you have the Yankee effect. You show an empty screen shot with each pitch. And you have to guard that the rabble not sneak down. And taser them when they do.

Oh. I think you now know the answer. He and his heirs are not selling the team despite the fans best efforts. And the budget will stay right where it is is or shrink.

Sure. Just pointing out how I think its wrong-minded when fans make excuses for not going to the games, or dismiss presumed lamentations from the Warehouse about a lack of attendance, then in the next breath plead that we resign Manny and preemptively express their rage about not getting it done. Like the two aren't connected...

Archived