Will the fans show?

Todd-O

Huh?

Yanks haven't finished under .500 since 1995. They haven't finished last in their division since '91.

The Red Sox have finished last three times in the last five years. Two of those three teams had more than 90 losses.

As for Weams' comment, I can't speak for him but he might mean that is what it would take for Baltimore to get there. After all it's easier when you spend on the international market.

I was referring to Weems 10 year period, when I said the Yanks and Sox have both been up and down. And I wasn't strictly referring to losing seasons or cellar dwelling, just more referring to the fact that neither team has been at the bottom of the division for that entire period of time. But your point stands.

And if the Orioles refuse to spend on international talent, then that is on the front office. It certainly helps the other guys.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can come up with any excuse you want. Ive heard them all. Theres only one answer.Its spelled A-P-A-T-H-Y.

Sure, there are a ton more imporant things than baseball. Baltimore has issues, all cities do, but in my opinion, when theres a crucial series people from the city should pack the place. The fact that the opposing teams fans come from hundreds of miles away and fill the home teams seats is appalling to me.

Who is responsible for this apathy? The fans? The club?

There are many things Baltimore and Baltmoreans should be embarrassed about.

Attendance at baseball games is way down the list.

Agreed. Between the infrastructure collapsing and a higher per capita murder rate than Chicago. Attendance is the least of Baltimore's problems. I know from an Oriole point of view it is bad. Port Covington just got funds to go ahead so maybe it is Baltimore's future. I was speaking to someone about the project and they think in 20 or so years that the Orioles would move into some type of domed stadium around the Under Armour complex.Probably a pipe dream but Camden Yards would be old by then and people would live near the stadium.

http://buildportcovington.com/

Nashville is the latest "IT" city, we may just come fro your team and that would be fine by me. Been a fan since the 1979 WS...come on down, the weather and economy is great. Place would be sold out EVERY NIGHT!

Been a fan of the O's since 1959. Would sure hate to see the O's leave Baltimore. But I would understand if that happened.

The Sox have been up and down, same as the Yanks. Look at Weems post, he says 10 years of losing is required to have a top 10 farm. That is obviously hyperbole.

To restock OUR farm. Not hyperbole at all. Especially without the international market that the Red Sox exploited to penalty.

I agree that Baltimore is not "less safe" than it was 5 years ago, but people believe that it is.

It's also obviously not the only factor in attendance issues. I do think that is a larger factor than people want to think. I personally don't think it's too much of a reach to say that a crowd of 24000 might be 20000 now due to the perceived "danger" of Baltimore, racial divide/issues, riots of 2015 and other similar issues. I think the amount of people staying away because of these things is a significantly larger % than most of us want to believe.

Baltimore murder surge

Any progress?

Down 16 murders from 2015

Up 61 murders 2014

213 murders 9-8-16

229 murders 9-8-15

152 murders 9-8-14

Baltimore entire yr 2011,197 murders, August 29, 2016, 200 murders

Violent crime and shootings are also up over 25%.

Huh?

Yanks haven't finished under .500 since 1995. They haven't finished last in their division since '91.

The Red Sox have finished last three times in the last five years. Two of those three teams had more than 90 losses.

As for Weams' comment, I can't speak for him but he might mean that is what it would take for Baltimore to get there. After all it's easier when you spend on the international market.

You can speak for me.

To restock OUR farm. Not hyperbole at all. Especially without the international market that the Red Sox exploited to penalty.

Well that is assuming we keep the same scouting apparatus in place. I for one, think we can and should do better. I would not be opposed to cleaning house in the minors/scouting department.

Archived