Stan "The Fan" Charles: Orioles Fans Shockingly Absent For Pivotal Series

PressBoxOnline

My $.02: O's botched season tickets this year...that's where most of their arses in seats come from. The promotions are lame. And honestly the unrest from last year I think has people a little uneasy.

We're talking about 30k fans a year in 2014, 29k in 2015...down to 27k in 2016.

As for there not being walk ups? :shrug: The team has been in a downward spiral since the ASB...so I don't necessarily blame people for not being excited about this team. The team acquired Wade Miley, Steve Pearce and Logan Ondrusek at the trade deadline. Hardly confidence inspiring.

Yeah, yeah...I get it. We have the 2nd WC locked up. But who is legitimately excited about going to the yard to see Miley, Gallardo and Ubaldo pitch against the Blue Jays while the Blue Jays are streaking and the O's are sinking....when they can just as easily watch from their couch?

I'm not clear on how big a role promotions play in this, but it does seem like they could have put some of the better ones (gnomes, Palmer jersey, etc.) during pennant race weeknights like this series if they wanted to boost weeknight attendance. Also, I have to wonder how much the success of the Nats this year has affected weeknight attendance. I don't have their weeknight figures at hand, but both teams are fighting for the same pieces of the pie on these traditionally slow nights. I live 6 hours away, so we can only get up there twice a year for a series, but I know if I were living within an hour or two, I'd be there regardless of all the reasons Stan and other pundits state. Is it the fringe fans they're not getting in? That seems to be the ones not showing up. Why would die hards stay away?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have to have promotions of some sort to support the team? Is that the new type fan? Give me something then I will come watch the team?

Hard for me to drag 90 minutes to the stadium with the wife and two small boys, drop lots of money, not enjoy the game all that much, and then get home at a late hour on a school/work night. Something has to give. It's worth it if the team is better. It's worth it if the tickets are cheaper. I've been to three weekend games this year. But anything else is tough.

Where are the promotions?

Fading and boring team to watch. Frustrating.

They've got promotions all the time. They had a promotion LAST NIGHT and a total of 4 in the past 10 days. How many of those did you go to? I guess you want a gold watch?!?!

I live an hour and a half away and I've got a room full of giveaways. I've got Hawaiian t-shirts (btw I've seen the XL's sell on ebay for $180/each), autographs, jerseys, multiple hats, bobbleheads, gnomes....scarf for my wife, bracelets for the kids, and that's just this season and last season.....and I've missed several promotions.

They've got promotions all the time. They had a promotion LAST NIGHT and a total of 4 in the past 10 days. How many of those did you go to? I guess you want a gold watch?!?!

I live an hour and a half away and I've got a room full of giveaways. I've got Hawaiian t-shirts (btw I've seen the XL's sell on ebay for $180/each), autographs, jerseys, multiple hats, bobbleheads, gnomes....scarf for my wife, bracelets for the kids, and that's just this season and last season.....and I've missed several promotions.

Guess I missed all the nights they had reduced ticket prices.

Asking out of complete ignorance: What are the general attendance trends throughout MLB? What are they for the still-contending teams?

Team that have huge markets of multiple millions of indigenous fans draw great, even when they are not in the wildcard or better position. Small market teams draw poorly.

Team that have huge markets of multiple millions of indigenous fans draw great, even when they are not in the wildcard or better position. Small market teams draw poorly.

I know a lot of folks who were O's fans that just flipped to the Nats when they came. Some of that is location (living closer to DC), some of that is being a fan of other DC teams, some of that is unhappiness with the Orioles, and whatever else. No doubt though putting a team in DC was not good for Baltimore.

In 2014, postseason tickets were made available to you if you put down a deposit for a 2015 season or partial season plan. The team stunk last year, so my guess is a bunch of those people did not renew their plans. That is definitely part of it.

The other part, as people have mentioned, is this team just has not been very exciting the last 6-8 weeks. Had they started off slow and then caught fire around the all-star break, and had the same exact record right now, the place would be packed IMO. But the fans have all been holding their collective breaths lately, mainly because the starting pitching stinks and the offense is inconsistent. The writing is kind of on the wall that this is not a championship caliber team, and there really hasn't been much spark lately to make us think otherwise. Sadly, many "fans" may have been spoiled the last few years. If this was 2012, we'd be super excited right now.

Before I get flamed, I have gone to some games lately despite the above...

Archived