CBS Sports: Top 100 Players (September)

25 Nuggets

HR aren't everything. Trumbo has compiled a 1.7fWAR so far. He has been abysmal on the bases and in the field eating the vast majority of his offensive production. His 1.7fWAR puts him in a tie for 118th most valuable position player this year.

Sure they are. Not everyone ranks by WAR either. Defensive metrics can be very unstable.

HR aren't everything. Trumbo has compiled a 1.7fWAR so far. He has been abysmal on the bases and in the field eating the vast majority of his offensive production. His 1.7fWAR puts him in a tie for 118th most valuable position player this year.

I understand. Is David Ortiz a terror on the bases and in the field? Basically, then, if Trumbo was a DH, he would be on the list. So, because DD and Buck play him out of position, his value suffers. But Nelson Cruz is so much better on the field and on the bases than Trumbo that he is in the top 100.

I understand. Is David Ortiz a terror on the bases and in the field? Basically, then, if Trumbo was a DH, he would be on the list. So, because DD and Buck play him out of position, his value suffers. But Nelson Cruz is so much better on the field and on the bases than Trumbo that he is in the top 100.

Ortiz - 3.9 oWAR, 161 OPS +

Cruz - 3.4, 141

Trumbo - 2.2, 117

Trumbo can't hit like Ortiz and Cruz.

Ortiz - 3.9 oWAR, 161 OPS +

Cruz - 3.4, 141

Trumbo - 2.2, 117

Trumbo can't hit like Ortiz and Cruz.

Fine. Pretty clear that the statistical gurus are convinced that the ML HR leader does not belong on a top 100 list of players in MLB. I will take Trumbo's 2016 performance over Melky Cabrera and Neil Walker any day. I am not going to argue it any longer as it is a waste of time since the author of this is clearly one who values only certain types of statistics over all others. Any list that takes 100 players in all of MLB and says that, in 2016, Mark Trumbo is not one of the top 100 performers is just wrong, imho.

Daniel Murphy is a solid hitter but way over rated. Don't get the hype for Yelich. Overall the author seems to be really into SBs.

I'm not a Nats guy at all but there is nothing overrated about the season Murphy is having. He's a legit MVP candidate.

Britton at 74 is ridiculously low. It's just a total lack of respect for what he is doing and for the role of closer in general. Should be in top 30 for sure.

He and Miller were the ones to make the top 100 which is a pretty big honor for a reliever given they're only throwing 1/3 to 1/4 the amount of innings the starters are throwing. Right now fWAR has Britton at 1.9 which is 79th among pitchers who have thrown at least 50 innings. While has has been absolutely tremendous, do remember it has only been 54IP.

Archived