I'm tired of watching nibblers

Frobby

Putting aside the fact that Jimenez, Gallardo and Miley all have poor numbers, I'm just tired of watching pitchers who nibble. Get ahead and try to finish them off! I'm tired of seeing every count go to 3-2, if the hitter doesn't walk before then. Miley absolutely beat himself today.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am probably wrong, but I swear that Gallardo in particular seems to quickly get ahead, even 0-2 a lot of times, then spends 7 or so more pitches finding a resolution to the at bat.

All of our pitchers in the starting rotation are like that. All of these guys routinely have 100 pitches in the 5th inning - excluding Bundy. It's so annoying to see opposing hitters foul off pitch after pitch so frequently.

You don't want to see Gallardo challenge hitters, believe. Probably not Ubaldo or Miley either. There is a reason they don't trust their stuff.

Jimenez has good stuff it is his control leaving him that is his issue. When he is around 3 bb/9 he does well. When he is around 5 bb/9 he does poorly. He has a career strike out per 9 inning of 8.2. And he has been right around that as an Oriole.

Jimenez has good stuff it is his control leaving him that is his issue. When he is around 3 bb/9 he does well. When he is around 5 bb/9 he does poorly. He has a career strike out per 9 inning of 8.2. And he has been right around that as an Oriole.

He had good stuff.

I don't think he still does.

You know who else is tired of watching nibblers - Buck Showalter, Dan Duquette and everybody else with the Orioles. But when you can't grow your own and you don't have hundreds of millions of dollars for top free agents, this is what you get.

You know who else is tired of watching nibblers - Buck Showalter, Dan Duquette and everybody else with the Orioles. But when you can't grow your own and you don't have hundreds of millions of dollars for top free agents, this is what you get.

And when you trade some of the ones you do grow...

Putting aside the fact that Jimenez, Gallardo and Miley all have poor numbers, I'm just tired of watching pitchers who nibble. Get ahead and try to finish them off! I'm tired of seeing every count go to 3-2, if the hitter doesn't walk before then. Miley absolutely beat himself today.

Nibblers are just mediocre arms without quite enough accuracy. Maddux would have been a nibbler, too, if he weren't also ridiculously accurate and smart with his pitch selection.

But I agree with you. I'd rather see a guy throw strikes and let his fielders back him up than someone without the stuff or the accuracy to get them out on the edges (Jimmy Key could do that...)

Archived