I'm tired of watching nibblers

Frobby

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nibbling occurs when you don't have confidence in your stuff. If you throw 88, you better paint the corners or you will get crushed. I don't blame the pitchers, I blame DD for not doing better. Of course, given his budget, maybe he did what he could...

His $155 million budget? Are you really trying to turn this into an Angelos thing? Get a grip.

Some people think stuff = velocity. Ubaldo has lost some velo but still has plenty of movement on his pitches and a good variance of speeds.

Velocity is firmly "in" at all levels right now. It's almost impossible to get noticed at the amateur level anymore if you don't have gas.

It's just what's trending right now. Teams are convinced they can take hard throwers and build pitchers. In some cases, they can. In a lot of cases, they haven't. The era of guys being real "pitchers" will swing back around eventually.

Velocity is firmly "in" at all levels right now. It's almost impossible to get noticed at the amateur level anymore if you don't have gas.

It's just what's trending right now. Teams are convinced they can take hard throwers and build pitchers. In some cases, they can. In a lot of cases, they haven't. The era of guys being real "pitchers" will swing back around eventually.

Plus guys overthrow when scouts are in attendance so you get guys who destroy their arms and then have to get surgery soon after they hit the minors. The high school guys we drafted in the first who throw hard have all needed surgery after we drafted them: Hobgood, Bundy, Harvey.

Plus guys overthrow when scouts are in attendance so you get guys who destroy their arms and then have to get surgery soon after they hit the minors. The high school guys we drafted in the first who throw hard have all needed surgery after we drafted them: Hobgood, Bundy, Harvey.

I'm curious if the O's are better off drafting college arms until the system is properly infused with enough impact talent.

I'm curious if the O's are better off drafting college arms until the system is properly infused with enough impact talent.

I have no clue about that. But if International players are included in the draft starting next year I am sure that would help the Orioles increase their talent pool as they are hesitant to sign (pay big dollars) top international prospects.

Archived