2017 Starting rotation

Diehard_O's_Fan

We all know that Tillman' date=' Gausman, Bundy and Ubaldo will be in next year's rotation. Is there any chance the Orioles get rid of Miley and Gallardo in the off season? I would like to see both of them go. The Orioles need to find another starter obviously rather than relying on their bullpen so much. Can you imagine how terrible the Orioles would be without their outstanding bullpen. It would be absolutely ugly.[/quote']

I think we have to assume Miley and Gallardo will be gone next year, or they'll find a way to make sure they have some kind of mild anterior whatchamfligle soreness that keeps them on the 240-day DL.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating this. Just saying it is more likely than trading Gallardo/Miley, who have negative value relative to their contracts.

If we did trade Tillman or Ubaldo, that would still leave us with five guys. We hope that KG pitches all year like he has in the second half, get a full season of Bundy, and the guys who underachieved this year bounce back to their norms. That was basically our plan last year. Remember, we went into this season with the expectation that Bundy would be in the bullpen and no replacement for Chen. Maybe we get some other team's Miranda back, and/or pick up this year's Vance Worley type.

It's not a great plan but I think it's more realist than someone taking Gallardo or Miley off our hands. Not that I am advocating it.

I think they work some kind of deal to trade Miley/Gallardo for someone else's bad contract or reclamation project. Or Miley becomes the world's most expensive LOOGY.

I think we have to assume Miley and Gallardo will be gone next year, or they'll find a way to make sure they have some kind of mild anterior whatchamfligle soreness that keeps them on the 240-day DL.

You think the Orioles are going to eat $10-20mil next season? I doubt it. Not without at least trying to milk some production out of them.

They gave Ubaldo the longest leash in the history of MLB. They will do the same with Miley and Gallardo before cutting them loose.

I don't see much pressure to move anyone - there will be enough work for all six guys. Even with Bundy pitching more this year than we expected, it's too aggressive to forecast him as a 32 GS/190 IP guy next year.

It means having a way too expensive 6th starter, but that's a sunk cost and I think the club's evaluation is that Gallardo/Miley are superior to Wright/Wilson.

1) You know whenever you say "in the history of MLB" it's my job to find a more extreme example.

2) It's hard to hide three emergency long men on a 25-man roster.

Hahaha...Sure, that is hyperbole, you don't need to research it. I bet you would come up with some good examples.

Ubaldo has kinda sorta turned things around, so it would only be two emergency long men. We did that pretty much all year with at least two of Ubaldo, Bundy, Gallardo, Wilson, Despaigne, and Miley, pitching terribly at any one time. I don't think it is a stretch at all plan on Miley and Gallardo to start the season.

Hahaha...Sure, that is hyperbole, you don't need to research it. I bet you would come up with some good examples.

That's no fun! I'm coming up with something. Koufax was a swingman for like six years while he figured stuff out. Moe Berg was a 3rd catcher and good luck charm for many years. Gotta be better ones than that...

The Orioles starting rotation is simply not good enough. They don't pitch enough innings which puts a huge strain on the bullpen. If the Orioles have to trade a guy like Trey Mancini in order to get a solid starter then you absolutely have to do it. Miley and Gallardo don't deserve a spot in the 2017 rotation. It is pretty sad how Ubaldo deserves a spot over them.

Mancini doesn't get you a starting pitcher any better than Gallardo or Miley in a trade.

I agree with most have said: Tillman, Gausman, and Bundy are near locks.

You gotta think the team finds a way to move one of: Gallardo, Miley, or Ubaldo. Ubaldo may be the easiest one to move with his strong finish. It's hard to imagine this team carrying three no. 5 starters making 10 plus million. Maybe I just don't want to imagine it.

No matter what happens, there doesn't appear to be much room to add a starter given the current roster.

I still want to see Britton stretched out and given a chance as a starter. 4.00 FIP in his rookie season in 154 IP, 4.32 in 60 IP in 2012...I think if we stretched him out and had him work as a starter from the beginning of ST there's a 3.00-4.00 ERA pitcher there, which would make him more valuable than he currently is to us.

I'm generally of the belief that you can't have enough depth.

Banking on Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, etc. to stay healthy is fool's gold.

It's also why it was so irresponsible for Duquette to cut Gonzo this year and bank on guys like Wright.

So, I strongly doubt Duquette will trade either Miley or Gallardo. They have negative value, anyway.

Archived